Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Long Arms of Love

Not too long ago, we got a call that Steve's dad was in CCU at a hospital in GA. He'd had a "Widow Maker's Heart Attack." The name still gives me the creeps. During the attack, his 6'4" frame fell to the concrete face-first, causing his brain to swell and his lungs to fill with fluid. It didn't look good, and even though I was having serious pain in my leg (I'd had surgery a week earlier), we both knew Steve HAD to go.

In hind's sight, I think God didn't want me to go to GA, because if I had felt ANY better, I would have hauled myself into the car and stayed by my husband non-stop. BUT, God evidently wanted Steve to be able to focus on his family this trip and not focus on taking care of me. So, Steve packed a few things and left...without me.

I don't know if any of you have ever been in a place like that before. I'm sure you have. It's a very "alone" feeling...not knowing what's going to happen to your loved one...hurting for yourself, but hurting more for the one who you love...not being able to "be there" to help comfort and strengthen your family member. My heart desperately ached for my husband...for all that he was going through and would have to go through when he got to GA.

And I was here, in NC, hours and states away.

It was during this time that God reminded me of a verse He had shown me many years ago when I battled a similar "helpless" feeling. Is. 59:1 says Behold, the LORD'S hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear.

I couldn't physically be there for Steve...for Dad...for anyone...but GOD could. His arms are not short like mine. My arms barely reach a few inches in front of me, but nothing hinders the long arms of God. He could wrap a hug around my husband, when he needed it. God could hold Steve's hand, while he sat in the waiting room. He could hold Steve's head up, when he was too tired to do it himself.

And He did.

Truly, God's arms are not too short to save...to reach out to you and into your situation. Beloved of God, you may be unable to "be there," but God is already there, using His arms to minister to the ones you love through your prayers for them. Remember that today.

Praise You, Father that You are big enough to reach out...big enough to fulfill every need that could ever grab us and take us by surprise. Thank You that You hold our very life and the lives of the ones we love in Your hand, and You gently wipe our furrowed brows and assure us of Your love. Praise You, Jesus. Praise You.

Oh and if you're wondering...Steve's dad is doing well. He is truly a miracle, seriously. Even the doctors are amazed - not just that he's alive, but that he's doing as well as he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment