Monday, February 13, 2012

God Doesn't Need Coffee

Before I got married to my wonderful husband, I used to sing with a small Christian contemporary group of 4 guys and two girls. The group's alto had recently left the road to get married, so the "new girl" joined us. I will never forget our first morning at a host home. I rolled over in bed, and sang out, "Good morning, Sunshine." Without even opening her eyes, she turned to look at me through her eyelids and said in a not-so-nice voice, "Don't talk to me, until I've had my coffee." Needless to say, I never did again.

We became great friends over the course of our tour together, and our relationship stayed strong...as long as I let her have her coffee first!

Now that I'm older, I, too, have developed quite an affinity for coffee and its eye-opening benefits. But one particular morning, there was no coffee to be found. We were staying in a hotel, while our home was being remodeled - compliments of a hot water leak. In order to get some coffee, I would have had to pull on some jeans, comb my disheveled, graying hair, dart out the door, ride the elevator down to the first floor, and hope no one would see me. Obviously, I was in no mood to do that, so I sat down to read, trying to shake off the sleep and concentrate.

Finally after fumbling around for the right page, I found my daily Bible reading: "Have you not known? Have you not heard? The everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, neither faints nor is weary." Is. 40:28. All the sudden, it was as if someone shouted "Whoo-Hoo!" down deep in my soul. My eyes perked up and a huge smile covered my sheet-creased face.

God doesn't need coffee!!!

He never gets draggy at 3 o'clock in the afternoon - not even at 3 o'clock in the morning! My God - my everlasting God, my Lord, my Creator - is awake and alert and ready for our conversation no matter what the time and no matter what the details. Nothing tires Him...not my wanderings, not my burdens, not my mistakes, not my endless complaints, not my continual askings....nothing wearies my God to the point that He needs a rest from our relationship. Nothing.

"Whoo-Hoo!!!"

Dear God, thank You that You never tire, nor become weary as I do. Thank You that at any minute of the day...any second...You are alert and attentive to my needs. You are always available...always accessible...and always there for me...no matter what. Thank You that You don’t need coffee! I love You, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment