Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Stuck Between a Rock and a Hard Place

They were stuck. The Israelites knew it. Moses knew it. The Egyptians knew it. 

“And when Pharaoh drew near, the children of Israel lifted their eyes, and behold, the Egyptians marched after them. So they were very afraid and the children of Israel cried out to the Lord. Then they said to Moses, “Because there were no graves in Egypt, have you taken us away to die in the wilderness? Why have you so dealt with us, to bring us up out of Egypt? Is this not the word that we told you in Egypt, saying, ‘Let us alone that we may serve the Egyptians?’ For it would have been better for us to serve the Egyptians than that we should die in the wilderness’” (Ex. 14:10-12).

The Israelites were stuck between a rock and a hard place, but there was nothing proverbial about their danger. The Egyptians were chasing after them to annihilate them, and the Red Sea in front of them was in effect, pinning them down until the enemy got there.

They were stuck…and in the midst of their fear, they complained against Moses and God. “How could he lead us out here in the desert just to die? Why did we follow Moses after all? We had it better back in Egypt! What have you done to us, Moses? Where is our God?!” (paraphrased).

You know, I don’t think Moses knew what God was going to do either. I think he probably fought the same questions and fear threatening to take over his mind, as well. AND I think it was just as big a surprise to him as it was to everyone else, when the sea opened up and granted a way of deliverance for God’s people and a way of destruction for the Egyptians


The difference was in the way Moses chose to respond to their situation. He didn’t allow the fear and questions to overshadow his faith. Instead, he made a choice to respond in faith: “Do not be afraid. Stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord, which He will accomplish for you today” Ex. 14:13a.

Moses was in just as much danger, if not more so, than the other Israelites. If he were captured by the Egyptians, he would probably be cruelly tortured before his death. After all, in the minds of the Pharaoh, things were going pretty well until Moses showed up on the scene. Moses had turned his world upside down and in his mind, killed his son in the process. So, if any Israelite had something to fear, it was Moses. And yet his response was anything other than fearful. Instead, his response was one of faith. Moses had spoken with God. He knew God would deliver them. He just didn’t know how. He trusted that God would not allow them to be taken back to Egypt or slaughtered in the desert, for God had proved to him over and over again that He was worthy of trust. God would lead the people to the Promised Land, and this was just one more obstacle to be overcome before they could get there.

I would love to say that my visits between the rocks and the hard places have always proven me to be faithful and trustworthy to God. I would like to say that I would never have responded the way the Israelites did…doubting their path…their leader…their plan…I would like to say that, but I can’t. All too often, I respond the same way they did. I find myself overcome with fear at what is threatening to consume me and in panic over what is ahead of me, blocking my path.

So, today, I’m thinking that before I get in the midst of that situation again – between a rock and a hard place – I will go ahead and make the decision to trust God when those hard times do come. I’ll choose to believe that He alone can deliver, and desires to do so. I’ll choose to remember than He is able and that He will never leave me nor forsake me. And then I will watch and with pancake-sized eyeballs and my mouth dropped open to see the salvation of the Lord, which He will accomplish for me. Won’t you join me?!

Dear Jesus, I don’t want to wait to choose faith. I choose to believe today in Your awesome plan for my life. I choose to believe that whatever rocks and hard places come my way, they are not for my destruction, but for Your glory. Help me remain faithful, Lord, as You are faithful to me. I praise You, Jesus. Praise You.

No comments:

Post a Comment