Monday, August 20, 2012

The Eyes of the Lord


I couldn't help it.  I just couldn't help it.

I'd been sitting in my bright red, Georgia stadium chair, wincing and flinching at every move - every drill - every exercise.  My poor little (almost-as-big-as-me) boy was going through torture, and I was going through it with him...just not on the field.  He was completely drenched from sweat, and yet, the coach wanted them to line up and run the drill again.  I could tell he was exhausted.  My "Momma's heart" wanted to step out on the field, pull the coach off to the side and politely say, "Don't you think they've had enough for tonight?"

If it hadn't been for the horrid pictures of "Momma's boy" popping into my mind, I might have done it.  Instead, I thought better of myself and decided to stay quiet.  I knew Alex didn't want to quit running...not just yet.  I knew he "had it in him," but I wondered if he knew.

Back and forth, his body's form crossed my line of vision, running so fast and hard his body heaved with every step.  I didn't know if he could take much more...and yet, he kept on pushing...driving to be better and stronger.

I wasn't the only one who noticed my son's effort.  The coach's billowing voice rose above all the moans and groans on the field, "I see you, Kirk!  I see you!"  And wouldn't you know it...the boy who looked as if he was on his last leg, somehow, after hearing his coach's words of encouragement, found new strength to fight harder to finish the race....to push through the exhaustion and pain that was pounding in his thighs and calves with every step.  Somehow, those words spurred my son on to greater strength...strength I don't think he knew he had.

So I couldn't help it.  I just couldn't help it.  I teared up.  Pools of salty water welled up in the corners of my eyes, and I almost lost it,  for quietly off in the distant places inside my spirit, I heard those words repeated.  Except this time, the recipient was different.  This time, the Author was different:  "I see you, Kirk.  I see you." 

II Chron. 16:9 says that the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to Him, (NIV).  Isn't that cool?  God's eyes roam the earth not to judge those He loves, but to strengthen those who love Him - who are devoted to Him.  That should mean something to us.  It should bring us great comfort that we're not hidden from God's sight.  He sees us.  He sees our struggles...our difficulties...our weakness...our victories.  He sees us when we think we're too tired to go on and just can't take another step.  And it's at those points where He does what only He can do.  He comes along side of us and strengthens us with His kindness.  He encourages us with the knowledge of His presence.  He spurs us on and responds to us and our situations according to His great love for us.    

Dearest Jesus, 
Thank You for your comfort.  Thank You for searching me out and fulfilling my need for encouragement today.  Thank You for strengthening my tired body and mind...for exchanging my energy for Yours.  Thanks for being such a good and gentle Father.  
I praise You, Jesus.  I praise You.   

No comments:

Post a Comment