Tuesday, October 2, 2012

My Letter to the Editor of the Selma News

I've always wanted to write a Letter to the Editor  You know...just to let him know what I think about some of the things that he writes in his newspaper, but I never have.  So, today, I'm breaking a long-standing tradition of NOT doing something that I've always wanted to do.  So, Mr. Rick, get ready!


Dear Mr. Editor,

Every time I think of you, I give thanks to my God.  Whenever I pray, I make my requests for all of you with joy, for you have been my partners in spreading the Good News about Christ from the time you first heard it until now. And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue His work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns. (NLV Phil. 1:3-6).     

I pray that your love will overflow more and more, and that you will keep on growing in knowledge and understanding. For I want you to understand what really matters, so that you may live pure and blameless lives until the day of Christ’s return. May you always be filled with the fruit of your salvation—the righteous character produced in your life by Jesus Christ for this will bring much glory and praise to God (v. 9-11).

Ever since I first heard of your strong faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for God’s people everywhere,  I have not stopped thanking God for you. I pray for you constantly, asking God, the glorious Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, to give you spiritual wisdom and insight so that you might grow in your knowledge of God. I pray that your heart(s) will be flooded with light so that you can understand the confident hope He has given to those He called—His holy people who are His rich and glorious inheritance.

I also pray that you will understand the incredible greatness of God’s power for us who believe Him. This is the same mighty power that raised Christ from the dead and seated Him in the place of honor at God’s right hand in the heavenly realms (Eph. 1:15-20). 


Sincerely, 
Belinda Kirk 

There,  I did it.  I wrote my letter to the editor.   

Isn't it about time you wrote a letter to someone, too - a letter of encouragement, telling them how they have affected your life and how much they mean to your family and the Gospel of Jesus Christ?  You never know what might happen, because you choose to uplift a brother or sister in Christ.  Your letter might be the thing that keeps them going for another day...that makes them really want more of Christ...that makes them press on, when they want to give up.  

So, just do it.  Put down the paper, grab a pen, and write that note.  Whether it's scribbled on a napkin or the most elegant stationary, I can guarantee, it will become a precious piece of art to the one who receives it.  

Dear Jesus,   
Teach us how to encourage one another and challenge us to do it more often.  Help us not allow ourselves to get so busy that we put off doing the things that Your Word is full of - encouraging one another.  Thank You, Lord, for the people you have placed in our lives that have meant so much to our walk of faith.  Thank You for their lives and their obedience to You.  We praise You, today, Jesus...and always.   

(Just so you know...Mr. Rick is the Newspaper Editor of the Selma News which allows my husband and me to write a Christian column each week.  He's a Godly man who's not afraid to share the Good News with his readers.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment