Monday, November 5, 2012

Oh, What a Marriage Retreat Can Do For You!

We spent this past weekend at a marriage conference in beautiful, western North Carolina.  We've been about 9 times out of our 19 years of marriage, and it just gets better.  We go there to enrich our marriage, but more importantly, to hear from the Lord...and oh how He speaks when we listen!

One of the most precious times of "hearing from the Lord" this year, came during one of the break-out sessions at the conference.  There were about 60 of us gathered in a room together, waiting anxiously to hear what Dale and Jena Forehand had to say about marriage.  Steve and I had heard this husband/wife team speak before, so we knew we were in for a treat.

Dale Forehand started speaking first, talking about Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden.  He painted the picture of what it must have been like, and then asked this question:  "Why do you think God asked them where they were?"

His question stemmed from Genesis 3:8,9:  "Then they heard the Lord God walking in the garden during the cool part of the day, and the man and his wife hid from the Lord God among the trees in the garden.  But the Lord God called to the man and said, 'Where are you?''  Now, God knew where Adam and Eve were.  It wasn't like He lost them.  So the question Dale Forehand asked was a good question to get some discussion started. 

One of the people in the class said God asked Adam and Eve that question to give them a chance to repent.  Another said something else I can't remember!  And then, the beautiful, blonde-headed lady in front of me said, "Because of His love."

I couldn't figure out why she said that.  I hadn't heard that answer before.  So, I kept turning it over and over again in my mind trying to figure out why God would have asked them where they were because of His love for them.  All of the sudden, I felt the Spirit speak into my heart...He missed them.  What?  I didn't quite catch that...could you repeat that again?  He missed them.

The more I thought about it, the more I think she was right.  Until sin came into the world, God had enjoyed beautiful, unbroken fellowship with His creation.  God spoke unhindered with Adam.  His "feet" walked the same paths in the garden that Adam enjoyed.  Their relationship was special...precious...unlike any every before and unlike any since, humanly speaking.  So, is it any wonder that God, out of a grieving heart, called out, "Where are you?" even though He knew where they were.

Anyone who has a child can somewhat picture a similar scenario.  Let's say that you have enjoyed a beautiful relationship with your son or daughter.  His/her life has been a joy from day one.  You have cared for that child, watched him/her grow, given your loved one everything he/she needed for life...and in return, your child has been so very grateful.  However, all of the sudden, that same child that used to run to you when life got hard, now walks away from you and shuts you out completely.  Instead of the long talks after school, you get a head nod, before your dear one runs and "hides" from your presence in his/her room - shutting the door physically and mentally.  Now, is your child gone?  Do you NOT know he/she is?  No.  Your little one is still in your home.  You know where that child is, but for some reason, he/she seems a million miles away.   I know, as a parent, my heart would be aching over the chasm of  broken fellowship, and I too, would wonder, "Where are you?"

Now, imagine how much deeper the Holy Father must have felt the dis-association with His children...with the entirety of His creation. 

So, as I sat there, my mind turning these thoughts over and over in my head, my eyes filled with tears.  How hurtful that must have been for Him....for them to "hide from His presence" (3:8), because of their sin.  Then it hit me like a ton bricks...He misses me, too..."Where are you, Belinda?"

I about burst into tears right then and there.  The sweetness of His quiet rebuke and the care with which He drew me back to Himself were so very precious to me.  I had allowed the worries, even of that day, to whisk away my mind from Him...to cause me to focus on the things of this world, instead of enjoying my relationship with Him and walking with Him.

So forgive me, but I have to ask you the same question today.  "Where are you?"  Have you allowed some sin to cause you to hide from the presence of the Lord?  Have you just "not had time" for Him lately?  Have you exchanged the trustworthiness of God for trusting in what this world will give you?  Whatever the case, if you've drifted away from the Father, He misses you.  He misses walking and talking with you in the cool of the day.  He misses listening to your struggles about your day and how you're afraid of what tomorrow might hold.  He misses listening to you tell Him of how much fun you had with your friends and how much you appreciate Him giving them to you.  He misses talking with you.  He missed talking to you.

He misses you. 


Don't believe me?  Luke 13:34 gives us a glimpse into the New Testament heart of the Father through Jesus who said:  "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, just as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not have it!"

You see, God wanted a relationship with them.  He wanted their fellowship.  He wanted to gather them together and protect them as a mother hen gathers her chicks under her wings...but they would not have Him.  They were more content to remain in their sin, than to come out from hiding and enjoy His presence.  May it never be said of us.  For you see, He still wants that same sweet fellowship today....with you and me!

So I'll ask you the question once again, and this time, let its truth settle deep into your heart, so that you respond appropriately.  "Where are you?"

Dearest Jesus, I pray for those today, who are hiding...who need to know that You know where they are and are calling them out and back into fellowship with You.  Lead them out of hiding, dear Jesus.  Let them know that even a "little sin" causes them broken fellowship with You.  Thank You, Lord that You speak...that You seek us out...that You, above all, miss us, when we are not walking with You in the garden of life.  Thank You.   You are amazing.  I praise You, Lord.  I praise You.  

No comments:

Post a Comment