Monday, April 1, 2013

He's Alive and He's Mine

I recently read about an English soldier in the Revolutionary War who had to write a letter to his grieving family about his existence.  They had heard he was dead, but he was very much alive.  He wrote, "I take this early opportunity of contradicting both (my death and final words) and of assuring you that I now exist and appear in the land of the living by the miraculous care of Providence, that protected me beyond all human expectation."*  The soldier spoke of God's provision for him and that even though he had "four bullets through my coat, and two horses shot under me," he was still very much alive.  That soldier's name was George Washington. 

Can you imagine the relief and joy at the reading of that letter?  His brother, Jack - to whom the letter was addressed - was, I am sure, so beside himself that tears filled his eyes, and he ran to tell everyone he knew. 

Well, it's the week after Easter, and God didn't just send us a letter (the Bible) to tell us that the Hope of the world was alive.  The news of His own resurrection was something that Jesus just had to tell, Himself!  Mary Magdalene had gone to the tomb earlier that morning and found the stone, which had sealed the opening of the tomb, was no longer covering the entrance.  She fled to get Peter and John, who came to the conclusion that Jesus' body had been stolen.  Oh, what misery must have engulfed the next few moments.  Not only had her Lord been beaten horribly and then crucified, now His body had to endure more brutality at the hands of thieves.  That news must have been too much to bear. 

Enter Jesus...

In her grief, she thought He was the gardener.  In her grief, her eyes were blinded - until He spoke her name and then she immediately she recognized Him.

John 20:17 gives us the idea that she grabbed Him - not unlike George Washington's friends and family must have grabbed him!   Yet, Jesus said, "Do not cling to Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father; (and here it is...the Good News Jesus just couldn't wait to tell) but go to My brethren and say to them, 'I am ascending to My father and your Father, and to My God and your God.'" 

Can't you just see the twinkle in His eye and His smile that was probably broad enough to engulf a whole piece of pizza (forgive me, I haven't had lunch), as He spoke those words?!?  It's interesting also that He didn't just tell her to tell the disciples that He was alive.  Instead, Jesus told Mary to tell His "brethren" that He was going to ascend to "My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God."  What incredible news from the Savior.  I think He couldn't wait to tell them that not only was He alive, but more importantly, because of what had been accomplished through His death, that God was THEIR Father and THEIR God. 

I wonder, in the disciples confusion over the whole crucifixion thing, if they thought they had lost their connection with God.  I wonder if thought that they had been abandoned once Jesus died and that's why Jesus emphasized these words to them - your Father and your God.  Whatever the case, I am sure their hearts leaped for joy when they got the message.  How could they not? 

And for me and you today...the message is still the same.  Jesus is alive and well - contrary to what many may think - and He sends us the same encouragement He sent to the disciples over 2000 years ago.  Whatever has happened in the past, because of the resurrection and our belief in Christ, God is our Father and our God.  He's personal.  He's involved.  He's not left us abandoned to live this life by ourselves.  

I'm so glad He's alive...aren't you? 

Thank You, Jesus, that You took time to tell the disciples of Your resurrection.  Thank You that You encouraged them, and us, of our position in the family of God, because of what You accomplished on the cross.  Help us always to remember that You, indeed, are our Father and our God.  Praise You Jesus...we praise You.

*Battlefields and Blessings by Jane Hampton Cook   

No comments:

Post a Comment