Monday, May 13, 2013

Why I'll Never Look at Bacon and My Kitchen Cabinets the Same Again

The people should have been rejoicing to see their Savior, but instead, they did the unthinkable.  They asked Him to leave. 

In Matthew 8, we find Jesus and the disciples finally reaching land after spending a harrowing time (for the disciples, at least) on some really rough seas.  The group gets out of the boat only to be greeted by a frightful sight - two crazed, demon-possessed men.  Scripture states these men were so violent, that no one passed their way.  People avoided them altogether, afraid to come too close for fear of contact.  Everyone, that is, except Jesus. 

In Matthew's account, He speaks with them and ultimately, the demons that had tortured these poor men for who knows how long, begged the Savior to be driven out and into a herd of pigs nearby. 

Jesus said, "Go!" and they went. 

Now, I have seen pigs on occasion that I thought were demon-possessed.  One, the size of a small bus, actually crossed the road in front of my car a couple of years ago.  Scared me to death.  I had always dreaded the idea that one day I could hit a deer or a dog, but the thought never entered my mind that my car could be totaled by a huge, black and white sow!  

But these pigs in Jesus' sight, weren't just big and grumpy and out-of-sorts, running across the road.  These pigs were truly demon-possessed.  Can you imagine the sound of squealing and shrieking?  Scripture says the whole herd "rushed down the steep bank into the lake and died in the water." 

It must have been a sight to behold - and it was BEHELD, for the men who were tending the pigs saw the whole thing and ran off, telling all that they had seen, including what had happened to the demon-possessed men.  At that point, the scene must have been reminiscent of a Frankenstein movie, because Scripture says the whole town went out to meet Jesus.  I'm not talking about just the head's of state or the county commissioners.  The Bible says "the whole town." 

I'm sure the disciples must have thought they were going to get framed certificates and colorful banners waved in their honor.  Surely the people would be thrilled that they could once again, wander through their land, not fearing the violence of those demon-possessed agitators.  Surely the people would be overcome with joy at the return of these men to their families.  Surely so, but sadly, not.  The verse that I fear is one of the saddest in the New Testament states:  "Then the whole town went out to meet Jesus.  And when they saw him, they pleaded with him to leave their region." 

Just as the demons pleaded with Jesus to send them into the pigs, the people pleaded with Jesus to GO AWAY!  He had set them free.  He had returned their brothers.  He had given them back their ability to really LIVE and walk uninhibitedly through their own land, and they gave Him the proverbial "boot." 

That's just one of those times when you have to look up and ask, "Why in the world?"  You would think they would have wanted to see Jesus enthroned as king.  You would think they would at least be grateful, but instead, I think they were fearful. 

One possible reason for this strange act could be that these men were Jews, and Jews and pigs didn't mix.  Pigs were considered "unclean" animals.  In today's vernacular, it's the same thing as bacon not being kosher.  Yet, these men had a whole herd of pigs....possibly thousands of them.  They were doing something they knew was against their belief system...they knew was against their Law.  Simply put, they were "in sin," and they knew it. 
 
Then, along comes Jesus and not only judges their sin, but removes it from them...literally.  I imagine the fear and awe, coupled with anger from their loss of profits, caused quite a riot in town.   So, in a way, I can see why they asked Him to leave.  

In all reality, I have done the same thing, myself, just in a different way.  Sadly, I think we all have, but I'll use myself as an example to explain it more thoroughly.  

On days when I find myself in particularly, stressful situations, I tend to have a more personal relationship with my kitchen cabinets...or actually, the items in my kitchen cabinets.   I think I've written about this before, so for those of you who know my battle, please be patient and read on! 

Anyway, during those stressful times - during those moments when I feel as if I need to eat the entire bag of chocolate chips, instead of just a handful - I always hear this quiet voice inside my heart speak to me: "Stop."   I immediately know that it's the Spirit's convicting work.  It's not like I stand there and have to look around the kitchen wondering where that little voice came from.  I am fully aware of WHO it is that speaks.  I am fully aware that I am heading for disaster...that the thing that I am about to do is sinful and against my Lord Jesus.  AND YET...I open the cabinet anyway, shove the prized chocolate chips in my mouth by the handful, and without speaking a word, I plead with Him to "leave my region."  It's the same as looking at Christ with melted chocolate dripping from  the corners of my mouth and say, "Get out of my kitchen.  You don't belong here.   This is MY kitchen and I'll do what I want in here!" 

Ouch!  See what I mean?  We allow Jesus to penetrate some places in our lives, but keep Him out of others.  We beg Him to leave spiritually, just as the people in His day, begged Him to leave physically.  "Don't touch that, Jesus.  Don't touch that sin.  Don't touch that hidden place.  It's mine.  I'll handle it"  And yet, Jesus knows that THAT place - that sin - is the very thing that He needs to touch...to rid you of...to free you from. 

He's not out to get you.  He's out to GET YOU. 

There's nothing to be fearful of, for Jesus simply wants to free you and me from all the things that keep us from experiencing the abundant life we were created to enjoy.   He knows what limits our walk with Him.  He's keenly aware of the things that make us afraid and keep us from totally enjoying Him and everything He has for us. 

Oh, my friend...let's not be a part of sending Him away today. Invite Him into the deep recesses of your life, not just into the doorway.  Invite Him into the places where the hidden sins lurk and hold you fast.  Oh, and don't be afraid for Him to open a door and reach for a broom.  Hand Him one when He walks in! 

Jesus, we beg You to stay, today...not that You ever leave us, but we beg You to remain in us...in the entire US.  We beg You to remain within EVERY part of our being,  not just the comfortable, clean-looking parts.  Cleanse our hearts today of every willful act and bring us into the abundant life You so desperately want us to have.  Thank You for being gentle in Your judgment and kind in your rebukes, Jesus.  May we respond appropriately.  Thank You, Jesus.  Thank You.    

No comments:

Post a Comment