Tuesday, September 17, 2013

God is Our Block and Tackle

I grew up a Dallas Cowboy's fan.  But as I have gotten older and more mature, I have come to realize that professional football is good, but Selma Parks and Rec. football is better - especially when your children are involved!

Two Saturdays ago was the first game of the season for our boys.  They're on different teams, because of their age, but they are both Selma Yellow Jackets, nonetheless.  

There were many "Proud Mamma" moments that day, but one seems to replay itself in slow motion over and over in my mind.  Alex was playing on the offensive line, closest to my vision.  The quarterback snapped the ball, handed it off to the running back who immediately began his journey towards my son.  Alex played his position well and successfully blocked the first defender.  

Whoo-hoo! 

But the play wasn't over...while continuing to push off the first defender, Alex looked backed over his shoulder and saw the guy cradling the ball, headed his direction.  He turned his attention back to his opponent and noticed another defender headed his way.  Alex knew what he had to do.  Keeping his left hand on the shoulder pads of his first opponent, he reached out with his right and pushed away the second defender, keeping him from making the tackle.  This allowed the running back to come through the "lane" and drive down the field, making a touchdown.  

I was so proud of Alex.  He saw what was happening all around him and responded quickly to each threat for his team. 

After the game, I told him I thought he played "smart ball" and recounted that particular play.  I made the statement that his teammate followed his lead, and he replied (as if it were not a big deal), "That's because I told him to 'follow me.'" 

Thoughts flooded my mind at that moment.  I pictured the players in the huddle as the quarterback called THAT play...the play where the ball would be handed off to the running back, who would head down Alex's side of the field.  I pictured Alex then looking intently at his buddy and saying, "Just follow me." 

And then the thoughts changed.  

Is 43:19 came to mind, which states that God will "...do something new, Now it will spring forth; Will you not be aware of it? I will even make a roadway in the wilderness, Rivers in the desert." 

All of the sudden, the pictures in my mind that had been strictly about football, suddenly morphed into pictures of Christ.  All of the sudden, the Spirit began flooding my mind with thoughts of Jesus and how He makes ways "when there seems to be no way," as the song so beautifully says.  I pictured Jesus looking at me intently and saying, "Follow Me," and me responding to His lead.  I pictured Him pushing obstacle after obstacle out of my way, defending me, as a big Brother would.  I thought about how He sees what's coming and protects me as I run this race called life.  I thought about how glorious it will be when one day I, too, cross that goal line and step into Glory, victorious because of my Defender.   

Tears poured down my face, as I continued to contemplate how and why God would speak to me...through a simple football game. 

You know, that running back had to trust Alex would clear his path and make a way for him to get through.  I wonder what would have happened if he had decided Alex wasn't big enough or strong enough to defend him.  I wonder if the outcome would have been different if he had stopped half-way and headed the other direction, as he saw the other defender coming.  Fortunately, he instead decided to trust Alex's instructions implicitly:  "Follow me."  

Once we trust our Father with our lives - once we trust Him with all we hold dear - once we truly believe that He will take care of us and choose to follow Him, He WILL indeed make a way in the wilderness.  Paths will open up that we never knew existed.  Our lives, though they may not be easy, will have a targeted goal, and He will be our block and tackle.  Our job is not to question His abilities.  It's to simply trust that He can...and that He will. 

I praise You, today, Father, that You will make a way.  You will overcome those things that see impossible, in order for me to be able to traverse the path that You have chosen for me.  Thank You, Father.  Thank You.  

No comments:

Post a Comment