Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Attitude is Everything, But It's Nothing Without Thankfulness

I've always heard that "Attitude is everything," but I've decided that "attitude" doesn't just happen.  It must be preceded by something else - especially during the hard times. 

Driving home from a football game on Saturday, I turned on the radio to let my little boy listen to some music.  We listened for a long time without him saying a word.  I actually thought he had fallen asleep.  Soon, the music ended and a radio program began.

I wish I could remember the name of the young man who was interviewed, but alas, his story will just have to remain anonymous.  This 16 year old was 
an incredible high school basketball player, with aspirations of "going pro." 

While chasing a basketball one day at practice, he slammed his head into the wall of the gym, trying to keep the ball in play.  When he awoke a few seconds later, he realized his life had changed forever.  He was paralyzed from the neck down. 

His dream was gone.  His parents' dreams for him were gone.  Life for the whole family changed in an instance. 

Yet, this physically active young man, who had been reduced to life in a wheelchair, had an incredible attitude towards the whole thing. 
Instead of looking ahead and pining over the things that would never be, he looked back and was grateful for the things that were.  He said that he had had 16 years of running and playing basketball - 16 years of being physically active.  Others that he had known, had not even had one day with the ability to take a step on their own.  He said he could imagine that those people would give anything, just to be able to play ONE basketball game. 

He had had 16 years.

I have to tell you.  That young man's attitude stirred something deep within me.  It's hard to get older.  It's hard when physical limitations change your life.  It's hard to let go, AND YET, instead of pining away at what could have been, I need to look at all the time (40+ years), I've had to be perfectly healthy...to be physically strong...to be able to handle any challenges that came my way. 

I Thessalonians 5:18 says, "and in all things, give thanks for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."  Now, I don't think God was saying that we are supposed to be thankful for car accidents and physical limitations and other varying degrees of the results of sin here on this earth.  I, do believe however, that God is telling us in I Thessalonians, to be diligent about - and purposeful in - finding things to be thankful for IN our circumstances.  

That's not always easy.  Sometimes, beause of our emotions and physical limitations, the "thankful things" are hard to see outright, but they ARE there.  It might take some diligent searching, but it so pleases the Father for us to acknowledge that no matter how hard life here on earth is, we still believe Him to have all things in control.  Turning our attention and our tearful eyes to Him, must please His "Father's heart," as we acknowledge our trust in Him. 

Yes, attitude might, indeed, be everything - but attitude can't be anything without the blessed diligence of thanksgiving.  Let's be thankful today.  Let's diligently to search for those gifts of God in our lives.  Let's purposely choose to lift our eyes to meet His in trust...and be thankful in all things, for this is God's will for us in Christ Jesus. 

Father, help me be thankful.  Teach me how to concentrate on the good things that You have given.  Teach me how to take my adversities and turn them into something that exalts your Name to those around me.  Thank You, Father.  Thank You. 

No comments:

Post a Comment