Monday, May 26, 2014

A Lesson From the Movie Frozen...Well, Sort Of!

The lyrics read like this: 
"Let it go, let it go
Can’t hold it back anymore
Let it go, let it go
Turn away and slam the door
I don’t care what they’re going to say
Let the storm rage on
The cold never bothered me anyway."


If you have a daughter - or son for that matter - somewhere between the ages of two and twenty, you have probably heard them sing these words at least four or five times in the last several months.  I've even found myself singing them throughout the house...at least the "Let it go" part.  By the time I get that out, my kids have run screaming into the other room, with their hands clasped tightly covering their ears. 

The lyrics came from a movie called Frozen, and while the song has a catchy tune, with lifting lyrics and rhythms, I can't say that I agree with the song's intentions.   Basically, the character singing the tune is spouting her new-found "freedom" by "blowing off" everyone that she ever knew and loved.

However, the first few words have become meaningful to me, but that's about it.  So, I've decided to keep the tune and inject my own lyrics.  See what you think:

Let it go!  Let it go!
Can't hold on to it anymore. 
Let it Go!  Let it go!
Turn it loose and see what God has in store.
I can't win, if I try to hold on.
Take it out of my hands.
You've got control of this anyway.

Okay, so maybe it won't be a Top 40 on the radio, but I think you get my point. 

My mom told me a while back that I just needed to let it go, and let God handle it.  Of course, she was right, but harder said than done.  I wanted to handle the problem.  I wanted to control the situation, so that God could be glorified.  Great motives, huh?

I finally came to the realization - or actually the Holy Spirit reminded me - that God doesn't need me to control a situation so He can be glorified.  He needs me to get out of the way, so He can glorify HIMSELF!

Duh. 

So, when you feel out of control...guess what?  Let it go.  Give it over to Him.  Tell God what the situation is - He knows it anyway.  Go ahead and tell Him what you would like to see happen in the situation, and then sit back and watch as He works out what He has planned.  Now, sometimes that plan involves what you want to see happen, and sometimes it doesn't.  Either way, if you and I are OUT of the way, allowing Him to work...He can get His glory, His way!   

Let it go, my friend.  Let it go - not in the Frozen-sense of the word...but in the Jesus-sense of the WORD. 

Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations.  I will be exalted among the earth (Ps. 46:10).

And which of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life's span? If then you cannot do even a very little thing, why do you worry about other matters? (Luke 12:25-26).

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done (Phil. 4:6).

Thank You, Jesus, that You have all things under Your control, even when I think life it cascading OUT of control.  Thank You that I don't have to deal with it on my own...that You never expected me to.  You merely ask me to trust that You have it all, right where You need it to be.  I praise You, Jesus and look forward to seeing what You will do.  I trust You.  I really do.   

No comments:

Post a Comment