Monday, July 7, 2014

His Glorious Affection

"Affection" 

That's one of the words my husband used to describe the feeling when John met Jesus in Revelation 1:12-17.  I didn't get it at first.  I just couldn't see how John falling on his face as dead created any kind of affection.  HOWEVER, the more I thought about the exchange, the more my own affection for Jesus began to blossom and grow. 

You really need to read it.  The description of the glorified Christ is extremely detailed, and Scripture says that when John beheld Jesus in that manner, he literally "fell at His feet as dead." 

I found this very intriguing.  You see, John knew Jesus...I mean, really KNEW Jesus.  He had walked with Him down miles of dirty, dusty roads.  He had seen Him sweaty and probably stinky (yes, Jesus was human).  John had seen Jesus coated in dust from head to toe and had even seen Him transfigured in His glorified state.  

Yet, the Jesus he sees here in Revelation is not like anyone he'd ever seen before.  For in this moment, John sees Jesus as HIS GOD, and John's response tells it all.  Scripture says that the image of Jesus shocked John so badly that he "fell at His feet as dead" (v.17). 

Now...the meeting between the two could have ended just like that - with John on his face and with Jesus then immediately beginning to say, "I am He who lives and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen.  And I have the keys of Hades and of Death.  Write the things which you have seen, and the things which are, and the things which will take place after this" (Rev. 18,19).  I would have been fine with that.  Yep, that is the GOD I serve. 

Yet, Jesus was not fine with that.  He didn't want John to see Him just as the powerful, amazing, could-squash-you-like-a-bug God.  He wanted John to see Him as SOOO much more. 

So, in the latter part of vs. 17, John says that "He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, "Do not be afraid...."

"Do not be afraid...."

I have a question for you.  As parents, what do we do when our children have a bad dream?  How do we comfort them?  We immediately rush to their sides and assure them.  We take them in our arms and hold them close, saying, "It's okay.  You don't have to be afraid.  I am here." 

That's exactly what Jesus did with John.  Instead of gloating in the fact that this tiny, insignificant human responded appropriately to His presence, Jesus came to John.  Reaching down, He touched Him with His right hand and said, "It's okay.  I'm here.  There's nothing to be afraid of" (paraphrase, mine). 

How beautiful is that!?!  The God of the universe - deserving of all the honor and glory - reaches down and comforts His child as a perfect Father/Friend would.  You know, He doesn't desire our "fear" in the "big-scary-monster" way.  He desires for us to see Him as He is - God...Father...Friend. 

"Affection." 

I get it now...and it makes me love Him all the more. 

Thank You, Jesus, for making Yourself known.  Thank You for reaching out to me through Your Word and Your world.  Thank You for desiring a relationship with me...me...of all people.  I love You, Lord.  I really do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment