Sunday, June 12, 2016

Here I Am

How many times have you called your kids only to hear silence?  For whatever reason, they don't respond.  They might not hear you.  They might be distracted from your request.  They might even be ignoring you.  But then, how many times have you called them and heard the beautiful response, "Here I am."  
Well, over and over again in Scripture, this phrase is repeated by God's kids. God calls, and people reply with these three simple words.  Moses said it, when God called him from the burning bush.  Jacob said it, when God was telling him how to deal with his stubborn father-in-law.  Isaiah said it when God put forth the question, "Whom shall I send and who will go for us?"      
I have often wondered what is so special about this particular phrase.  What does it mean?  
In Biblical times, it was phrase of humility.  It let the person requesting your presence, know that you were ready and willing to participate in their request. It let them know that you were there - available - that you were "all-in."
I wonder what would happen if I used that phrase more often in my relationship with the Lord?  I wonder how much deeper my spiritual life would be...how much more I would know Him...how much more He would speak, if I humbled myself.  I wonder.  
I think I'll try it.  I think I'll try speaking the words, "Here I am," the next time I enter my "prayer closet," with my mouth and my heart.  I'll let you know how it turns out!  
Here I am, Lord.  I am willing and ready to hear from You and follow Your leading wherever that might be.  I love You, Lord.   

No comments:

Post a Comment