Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Room

I just wasn't expecting to see THAT.

I went upstairs to one of my children's rooms and was amazed. There were piles of clothes literally lining the walls, trash on the dresser and in the floor, glasses and bowls and paper plates. You name it. It was there. Why should you be so shocked, you might ask. Well, it was only the day before I'd asked this particular child to clean his/her room, and he/she'd done a beautiful job. Things were put away. There was room to walk. Why, even underneath the bed was clear of any clothes or junk.

I just shook my head. How could this happen? It got dirty again SO quickly.

As my child and I stood there, gazing into a room of havoc, the Spirit of the Lord quietly whispered into my heart, Belinda, your heart looks just like this.

Ouch.

I understood what He meant completely. I had things - not necessarily bad things - lying all around the corners of my heart that needed to be picked up, thrown into the purification wash cycle of Christ, and then hung back up into the proper place. There were also those things in the room of my heart that just need to be disposed of - thrown away. And then, there were the hidden things that I needed to pull out, humbly show to Jesus, and let Him take away.

As I stood there with my child, I couldn't be angry or condemning. Instead, I simply asked him/her to clean the room again, and then I went into my prayer closet and cleaned mine!

What about you? What’s your heart condition? Are there good things in your heart – like serving the church or singing in the choir – that simply have become more of a duty and a responsibility, instead of an enjoyment? Or is there some sin cluttering up the corners of your heart, so the Spirit has to share the space created only for Him? Or, maybe it’s a hidden thing – some habit or secret you’ve been trying to hide from everyone, including God? If you answered yes to any of these questions, I implore you. I beg you. Be reconciled to Christ. Confess those things and allow the Spirit to do a little house cleaning. He’s already got the equipment to do it. You’ve just got to be willing to give Him the go ahead.

Who can understand his errors? Cleanse me from secret faults. Keep back Your servant also from presumptuous sins; Let them not have dominion over me. Then I shall be blameless, and I shall be innocent of great transgression. Let the words of my mouth and the mediation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer. Ps. 19:12-14

No comments:

Post a Comment