Sunday, October 31, 2010

His Way or No Way

Thud…thud…thud…thud…was the sound I heard early one morning coming from outside our Sunroom window. My husband said it was a Robin and that this poor bird had been slamming itself against our window for several days. At first I thought he was seeing himself in the reflection of the window and trying to get to that other bird. My next thought was maybe he was just trying to get in. But nonetheless, there was no way that Robin was going to get into my house, no matter how hard he tried or worked at doing so. It didn’t matter if he beat his body up against that window for another year, his beating would be in vain. That is, unless we opened the window and let him in. We are, after all, the owners of this home, and if we wanted to, we could entertain confused little Robins couldn’t we? Yet, Robins don’t belong in our home no matter how sad or confused they are, so we choose not to let them in.

Hmmm…this brought to mind John 14:6 – I am the Way, the Truth, the Life, and no one comes to the Father but by Me. Christ told the disciples…and us...that to get to His Father, we would have to go through Me (Jesus) first. THERE IS NO OTHER WAY.

Many people today believe otherwise. They think their good works or their good name or their giving to the church is the Way. Some even think that if they try hard enough, they’ll finally gain access to the Way. But that’s not what Christ said. He said that He alone is the Way. No one will get to the Father. No one will receive Heaven, unless they go the way of the cross…unless they go by faith in Jesus Christ.

Poor robin. No matter what he does or how hard he tries, he’s never getting into my home. I pray that today, if you are like the little bird outside my window, attempting to reach Heaven by your standards and what you think is the way, I pray you will think about this a little more. I pray you’ll turn to John 14:6 and read what it says. I pray the Father, whom you so genuinely seek will reveal to you the Way…the Truth…the Life.

Thank You Father, that You have given us access to You through the life and blood of Jesus Christ. Thank You for His death on the cross…for making Him who knew no sin to be sin for us. Thank you that You made the Way, for You knew that we could not and would never be able to. I praise You, Father. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment