Friday, November 19, 2010

Come to Me

Humor me for a moment. Let’s say this past year’s been tough for you and your family. It’s taken everything you have just to muster enough courage to continue on “doing life.” Your patience is wearing thin, but you’re banking on your vacation to give you a little rest from the rest of the world.


Before you know it, it’s here. It’s finally here. Your bags are packed, your tank is full, and you’re on your way. As you’re driving along, out of nowhere you see this amazing place: palm trees swaying in the wind, exotic birds and butterflies floating through the air. There’s even a huge waterfall spilling over the side of a lush embankment. This place seems almost magical.


You pull in, knowing there’s no way you can afford to stay, but wouldn’t it be great if you could? You get out of your car, close the door, and strangely feel as if the world is new again. Hope surges within you, and you find yourself whispering, “Please don’t wake up. Please don’t wake up.”


As you walk into the lobby, the smell of coffee and chocolate fills the air, and the bubbling sound of running water draws you in, even deeper. What a perfect place. What an amazing place to spend some down-time. What an impossible dream in the midst of your reality.

All of the sudden, someone touches your shoulder, and you’re jolted back into your reality. With a smile on his face, he asks, “Can I help you?” You smile back politely and say, “I don’t think so, but I wish you could!” The attendant laughs and asks a little more intently this time, “Can I help you?” With hesitation in your voice, you turn your head and say, “How much is your smallest room here? I would love to stay. I really NEED to stay, but I don’t think I can afford it. Besides, I’ll bet you’re probably booked already.” The attendant shakes his head and says, “Well, you might be surprised. We have very few people staying here this evening. Don’t get me wrong, we have people come in here all the time. They stand around and look at all the things we have to offer…the spa, the heated indoor pool, the weight room with a personal trainer. Yet, for some reason, they always walk out. They don’t even ask to see a room. It seems they’re intrigued by this place and really want to be here, but they never end up staying. That always amazes me. It can’t be the cost of the room, either. You see, a long time ago, the owner of this place decided that everyone should be able to have a place of rest…a place where they could go to find renewed strength for their journey. So, the owner created this place. “Free for the weary,” has always been his motto. It’s all free…free to anyone who wants or needs it. But the strange this is, few people really ever stay around long enough to accept the offer. So I guess what I’m trying to say is that if you are looking for a place to stay, these doors are open. Cost is not a consideration. That’s already been taken care of. You just have to choose to accept the offer.

With enthusiasm and anticipation practically taking over every fiber of your being, you ask, “Does that mean I can stay?” Beaming from ear to ear, the young man answers, “Please do! Come, I have just the place for you.”

“Come,” Jesus says, “Come.” Why don’t we get it? He’s given us an open invitation to come and rest, yet instead we look at Him in our wishful thinking and sadly turn away. Is it because we think it’ll cost us too much? Is it because we don’t feel worthy to be at rest? I don’t know, but I do know that Christ says, “Come. Come; enjoy the beautiful place of rest. Come; enjoy taking those heavy burdens off your shoulders. You weren't designed to carry those anyway. Come;" Jesus says,"Let Me show you to your room.”

Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light. (Matthew 11:28-30)

No comments:

Post a Comment