Friday, April 29, 2011

Beautiful things - Hard Places

Some of the most beautiful things grow in hard places.

For instance, at the end of my driveway sits a huge cement flower pot atop a brick entrance-way. Normally by this time in the season, I've planted some blue or purple petunias in the pot to give the yard some color, but I just haven't had the chance yet. So, the pot remains bare, with the exception of what's growing at its base.

A couple of weeks ago, I was amazed to see a little flower, peeking its head out from between the bottom of the flower pot and the top of the brick wall. It was an unusually striking sight to see a flower growing in that type of environment.

That single flower has now grown into a little bouquet, full of blue, white and purple petunias. Those colors are very noticeable against the red bricks and black pot, so you can imagine that my eyes are drawn to it immediately as I drive into the entrance of my home. I saw it again yesterday, and the thought struck me...some of the most beautiful things grow in hard places.

Hmmm...

My life is the same way. I look back over my walk with Jesus, and some of the most beautiful times in my life...the times that have produced the most fruit...the times that have been the most unusually striking...have been when I have chosen to trust Him in the hard places.

Romans 5:3-5 says, 3And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; 4and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; 5and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us. (NAS) The New Century Version reads, 3 We also have joy with our troubles, because we know that these troubles produce patience.4 And patience produces character, and character produces hope.5 And this hope will never disappoint us, because God has poured out his love to fill our hearts. He gave us his love through the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to us.

Beloved of God, let's not lose heart in the hard places of life. We've got to remember that God is able not only to deliver us through them, but to cause us to bear beautiful fruit - during and after. God gave us this life to exhibit His glory...to be a "flower" in an unsuspectingly hard place, so that others can see His glory revealed in us.

Father, help us to remember as we struggle in this life and choose to worship in the hard places, You are creating something beautiful in us to show the world Your glory. Thank You, for our adversities, Jesus. Thank You for their eventual outcome. We praise You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment