Thursday, April 14, 2011

Hidden Things

It's been at least three years, but I've still got glass coming out of my hand. Not long after we moved into our new home, I tripped over something on the sidewalk, while carrying several Christmas glasses. They shattered when I hit the pavement, and pieces of broken glass dug into my hand and evidently decided to stay. Since that time, every so often, my hand gets a small sore in the general vicinity of the cuts I received that night. On occasion, I "get lucky" and find the glass, so I can remove it, but most of the time, it escapes without me ever seeing it.

Our bodies are amazing. God designed them to reject things that don't belong in them. My body sees the glass embedded in my hand as an enemy, and therefore attacks it - forcing it back through the entrance by which it came.

God designed our "spiritual bodies" in a similar way. The Spirit that lives within us sees sin as an enemy and forces it to rise to the surface of our lives. Years may pass, but if the Spirit is at work in us, then He will not allow sin to remain embedded in our hearts. It's unhealthy, and therefore, has got to come out.

To my shame, there have been times in my life when I have intentionally harbored sin and protected it from the hand of God - buying time with, "It's not so bad," or "What's the big deal?" However God, in His supreme patience with me, allowed me to feel the effects of that sin over time and gently taught me that sin, is indeed, the enemy and must be dealt with. At other times, I have been completely unaware that I was harboring any sin at all, but again God in His patience, brought the sin to the surface, so that I could see it and get rid of it...in a hurry!

Ps. 32:3,4 says, When I kept silent, my bones grew old through my groaning all day long. For day and night Your hand was heavy upon me; My vitality was turned into the drought of summer. David had been harboring his sin of adultery, deceit, murder - just to name a few things...and he "seemed" to get away with it. Yet, his physical body told him differently. The notes in my Open Bible say that when he kept silent in resistance to God, the inner struggle of conscience and conviction drained away the very viatlity of life. David literally became unhealthy, because of his harbored, unconfessed sin.

Now if that were the end of the mighty king's story...if Scripture left David there, then we would have no reason to rejoice over his life. However in vs. 5, David says, I acknowledged my sin to You and my iniquity I have not hidden. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the Lord." and You forgave the iniquity of my sin.

That's HUGE! David spent all that time wasting away, when all he had to do was "fess up" about what he had been doing and agree with God that it stunk! When he finally did, God forgave the iniquity (the very depth) of his sin.

He'll do the same for us, too! He'll forgive the very depth of our sin, the moment we ask. Now that's a reason to rejoice!

Many sorrows shall be to the wicked: But he who trusts in the Lord, mercy shall surround him. Be glad in the Lord and rejoice, you righteous: and shout for joy, all you upright in heart! Ps. 32:10,11

Thank You, Father, that You are patient and loving, waiting for us to agree with You over our sin, so that we can be restored and forgiven. Thank You that You don't allow us to continue to be deceived, but You cause hidden sins to rise to the top of our lives, so we can deal with them as what they truly are...our enemies. Cause us to desire You...to love You with our whole heart, soul, mind and strength and to live our lives accordingly. We love You, Lord. You are good.

No comments:

Post a Comment