Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Freedom's Cost

I hate to admit it, but I didn't have a great love for history growing up. However, the older I get, the more passionate I become about the things of the past. I love watching the The History Channel, when I can. Their war documentaries are fascinating. They not only show you pictures and videos from the different wars we've participated in, but they show you interviews with the soldiers that actually fought in those battles.

Sometimes though, it's hard to watch. To the people being interviewed, these war stories are not just stories, they are reality. Tears are often shed, and you can see in their eyes the horror of their participation in the conflict. That's when the history comes alive...when you realize that war really did cost someone something. To those of us who've never fought in a war, we don't recognize the price as much. But to those who fought to secure our freedom, the cost was great. It's a price they'll always remember, no matter how hard they try to forget.

You and I are beneficiaries at their expense. We have freedoms that so many people in the rest of the world only dream about and will never receive, simply because there were a few men and women who believed in freedom for all. So to those brave soldiers and their families, I say, "Thank you for paying the cost for MY freedom. I will not forget."

And to the One who paid the ultimate price for MY freedom - to the One who became sin for me - who took the stripes that I was meant to bear - who took the weight of the sin of the world on his shoulders - to Him who writhed in pain over my well-being - to the One who truly paid it all at great cost, without cost to me - to Him I say, "Thank You for paying the price for my freedom. I will not forget."

Dearest Jesus, thank You for redeeming me. Thank You for giving me the opportunity and the privilege of living a life of freedom - a life that some people only dream about. As we remember the price that was paid for our American freedom, let us not forget to remember the price You paid for our ultimate freedom. Praise You, Jesus. I praise You.

No comments:

Post a Comment