Saturday, June 4, 2011

God's Garden

Someone commented a few days ago that my garden, “looked great.” They then added, “I’m impressed.” Can I just tell you – that did my heart good. I have diligently taken care of the plants to make sure nothing hurt them or their production. Why even yesterday, I was pulling squash bugs off my zucchini by hand and disposing of them - properly of course! I have agonized over each plant's water intake, as well as delighted myself in finding every blade of grass and destroying it. I may sound a little like the “Terminator,” but when it comes to my garden, I guess that name is appropriate.

It makes me proud to look at my garden...to see that my effort has paid off. To know that someone else noticed my hard work is just icing on the cake. I wonder if God feels that way, too. Ps. 19:1-4 says: The heavens declare the glory of God; the sky displays His handiwork. Day after day it speaks out; night after night it reveals His greatness. There is no actual speech or word, nor is its voice literally heard. Yet its voice echoes throughout the earth; its words carry to the distant horizon. In the sky He has pitched a tent for the sun.

There were no accidents in creation. It didn’t just come into being-God created it. He formed it. He worked at it. And after creation was finished, Scripture says He looked at "everything He had made, and indeed it was very good..." (Gen 1:31).

I wonder if anybody’s noticed lately. I wonder how many of us have looked up at the bright blue of the sky and said, “I’m impressed.” I wonder if we’ve taken the time to really look at a flower – to see the multitude of colors represented, sometimes in just one petal. I wonder if anyone has simply taken a drink of fresh water when they were thirsty, without acknowledging the One who created it for them.

Let’s not be like that today. Let’s take time to look around at the beautiful creation God has not only given us, but made for us and tell Him, “Your garden looks great, God. I’m impressed.”

Father, thank You so much for the beauty of the earth…for the color of the trees and the beauty of the flowers that dangle from their branches. Thank You for the mountains and the valleys, literally. I’m impressed…incredibly impressed.

1 comment:

  1. Belinda....PLEASE don't hurt the bunnies!!! And keep that rifle put away!! : )
    Love you so much!! I am in awe of His creation in you! You always make me smile!

    ReplyDelete