Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The List

Too many things to do and not enough time to do them.

Now, I know in reality that's not a true statement, because I know that God always gives us time to accomplish what we NEED to accomplish, but that's the way I FELT this morning. I tried to list in my head all of the things clamoring for my time and attention, but it just made me more stressed. The more I thought about it, the more my shoulders tensed and the more my brow furrowed. That's not a very good way to start the day, and it sure doesn't make for a Happy Mommy!

But I'll tell you what DID make for a Happy Mommy this stressful morning - these verses:

Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God. And God's peace which transcends all understanding shall garrison and mount guard over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. For the rest, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things (Phil. 4:6-8 The Amplified Bible).

I NEEDED that Truth this morning, because my tendency today was to be anxious. My tendency was to fret. My tendency - rather than taking each moment as it came, thanking God for that moment, asking Him to do what He wanted in that moment, and leaving that moment with Him - was to try to envision my day as a whole: how I could do it - how I could manage my time well - how I could accomplish it all. My list became my god, and my day revolved around it...instead of around Him.

God showed me something a few days ago, and I have yet to try it on paper. I've done it mentally, but today, I'm feeling as if I need to do it physically. So when I get finished here, I'm going to sit down with a pen and paper in my hand and write out my day, so that I can see it. I already have in mind what my list looks like, but I'm going to write it out just the same. After each "to do," I'm going to breathe a prayer to God, thanking Him for that thing I need to do, and then asking Him to control the circumstances and everything else around it. Then, I'm going to mark it off, literally, as done - not as done as in "accomplished", but done as in "prayed over and worry-free." Then, when that thing comes up in my day or when it tries to tighten my shoulders or furrow my brow, I will remember and know that it's all been taken care of. I've already checked it off my list.

Why don't you try it with me? I mean, really, physically write out a "to done" list and check it off before the Father. Then, let's see what God does.

Dear Jesus, thank You SO much for this day and for all the opportunities that You have provided for us...opportunities to make Your name great among those around us. Help us order our days and then give them back to You as an offering. Help us understand how to let You have our list. We love You, Jesus and thank You again for Your help throughout our day. Praise You, Jesus. Praise You.

No comments:

Post a Comment