Tuesday, November 1, 2011

It's All About Trusting the Quarterback

Football has become a huge part of the Kirk family recently. With practice 3 times a week and games on Saturday, it seems our family's at the field, almost as much as we're at home.

I'm not complaining though. I LOVE the game. I always have, ever since Roger Staubach played for the Cowboys and Franco Harris played for the Steelers. I'm dating myself, aren't I?!?

Now that our son plays for the Selma Yellow Jackets, I love it even more - maybe a little too much at times. I totally embarrass my daughter (and whoever else is with us) at the games by screaming, "Get 'em guys!" over and over. Oh, and the cowbell - we won't even go there!

Even from the early days of watching, I've known that football held some spiritual lessons. But recently, more of those appications have come to light. For example, the other night at practice, Alex was running a Tight End Slant, off to the left. He started running hard at first, until he turned to look at the quarterback. His attention then shifted from the quarterback, to catching the ball - slowing his pace. That's a problem because not only did it make it harder for the quarterback to judge where to throw the ball, but in a game setting, it makes it easier for the defense to catch up. What started out being a touchdown, ends up being a tackle - all because the receiver didn't trust the ability of the quarterback.

How do I know that? I'll tell you how I know. After the play ended, Alex's coach said three words in that loud commanding voice of his - "Alex, trust him." I understood that to mean Alex needed to do his job - to run hard - and let the quarterback do his - put the ball into Alex's hands. It was that simple. Alex had to learn to trust the quarterback. Period.

The spiritual application? I'll give you a few:

Psalm 28:7(NAS) says, "The LORD is my strength and my shield; My heart trusts in Him, and I am helped; Therefore my heart exults, And with my song I shall thank Him."

Ps. 37:5(NAS) says, "Commit your way to the LORD, Trust also in Him, and He will do it."

Ps. 62:8(NAS) says, "Trust in Him at all times, O people; Pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us. Selah."

Daniel 6:23(NAS) says, "Then the king was very pleased and gave orders for Daniel to be taken up out of the den. So Daniel was taken up out of the den and no injury whatever was found on him, because he had trusted in his God."

See what I mean? Trust the Quarterback, my friend. Simply, trust Him.

Dearest Jesus, please help us to trust You. You are in control. You are all-powerful, all-knowing, and exist everywhere. Those reasons alone should make us trust You with every minute of every day. Thank You for Your patience with us as we learn how to do this "trust thing." We love You, Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment