Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Sing, Sing, Sing!!!

You know, as moms, we don't TRY to embarrass our children - especially our teenagers - however, on occasion, embarrassment happens. Inadvertently, we as parents do something that mortifies our children, so much so that they walk away from us in horror.

I have a teenage daughter now, and I really do try NOT to embarrass her. There's a list of things that I know she hates for me to do when we are in public, so I try not to do those things. HOWEVER, sometimes I fail miserably - not intentionally - just miserably!

One of her least favorite things in the world for me to do is to sing in a public arena. She doesn't mind me singing, if I'm supposed to be singing. It's the singing as I walk down the grocery store isle or in the parking lot - anywhere someone might hear me and realize that SHE'S WITH ME!

The problem is, it's a hard thing for me not to sing. Stores make us do it on purpose, I think. They know that music makes the heart lighter, which will make us more apt to buy things, so they play music. Oh, and I'm afraid Christmas-time is the worst temptation for me. My heart opens up and spills out of my mouth right in the middle of the store! When that happens, my daughter's eyes get larger than life, and her hand moves faster than the speed of light toward her face to cover it. Next, comes the emotionally charged, yet whispered word every parent hears during such an embarrassing moment, "Moooom."

Did you know Jesus sang? I guess I've thought about it before, but not really to the extent that I thought about it this morning. I was reading the Word this morning and came across the Truth of the Last Supper. I say, "Truth," because I hate to use the word "story." It's NOT one!

Anyway, the song Jesus sang at the end of the Last Supper was an intensely deep, joyful hymn. That's cool don't you think? I like to picture Him in my mind - singing to the top of His lungs. He probably had the best voice there. I'm sure, however, Peter sang the loudest!

WHERE He was and WHAT He sang wasn't what got my attention, though. It was WHEN He sang.

Do you remember what happened immediately following the Last Supper? You got it - Christ's betrayal, arrest, and crucifixion. Christ sang a song of joy and victory, not long before He suffered as the Victor. In my mind, that had to be hard - to sing a song of joy right before the most sorrowful and painful time of His entire life. Then again, maybe it wasn't as difficult as I think. He knew the end. He knew He would be victorious over death. He knew that this was the only way for the ones He loved to be able to be with Him. He knew it had to be done, despite the agony of the cross. So, He sang.

Shouldn't we, too? Despite "life" - the sorrow, the aching, the bitterness, the betrayals - shouldn't we sing,? After all, just like Christ, we know the how everything ultimately ends. We know that God causes all things to work together for our good and according to His purpose, so the battles that we are enduring even now, are only for our betterment and His glory. We know that things remind us on a daily, sometimes minute by minute, basis that we need Him and that His deep, passionate love for us will not fail to do what needs to be done in order for us to become more like Him. We also know that momentary light affliction here on this earth is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison.

So, let's sing. No, I'm not giving you permission to intentionally horrify your teenagers in public! You don't always have to do it loudly or in a public arena. You can sing a song that simply spills over in your heart, without ever opening your mouth. So, sing I say, and make music to the Lord, O sing to the LORD a new song, For He has done wonderful things! Ps. 85:1

We praise You, Lord, even in the midst of our circumstances and even in the midst of the uncertainty of our future here on this earth. We will sing and make melody to You in our hearts, for You have done wonderful things...too numerous to count. We are blessed, Jesus...all because of You! Praise You, Jesus. Praise You.

No comments:

Post a Comment