Thursday, March 29, 2012

All

Sometimes the most important words in the English language are actually the smallest. For instance, during this Easter season I've had the word "all" on my mind. Every time I read my Bible, "ALL" seems to jump out at me from the pages. So much so, I've found myself searching for the little word, whose addition to a sentence changes everything - sometimes for the good and sometimes not.

In Mark 14:31, Peter spoke emotionally charged words to Christ when he said, "Even if I have to die with You, I will not deny You!" Then the verse continues and our little word appears again: "And they ALL said likewise." It wasn't just Peter that proclaimed his devotion to Christ. It was ALL of the disciples. They ALL claimed to be so devoted to the person of Jesus Christ that they would die with Him. And then just a few verses later, their devotion turned to desertion. As Judas' kiss fell on the cheek of our Savior, and the ear of Malchus fell to the ground, Scripture records: "Then they ALL forsook Him and fled." (vs. 50).

Jesus knew they would. He knew He would have to endure this horrendous death alone. It was prophesy. And yet, I can't help but imagine the pain that seared His heart as He watched them ALL run, as well as the full cup of guilt that they drank each time their feet touched the ground in flight.

If only SOME had deserted Him, maybe this verse wouldn't hit me so hard. Maybe it wouldn't have stuck out in my mind and made me think more seriously about the time before the death of Christ. Maybe His "aloneness" wouldn't strike at my heart the way it does. But it wasn't just some of them...it was ALL of them. His best friends... the people who had shared the last three years with Him...the ones that claimed they would die for Him and with Him, deserted the One they called their Master.

I know this was ALL part of God's plan, but it still makes my heart ache for my Savior. And maybe that's part of God's plan, too. The Easter season is a time of celebration - a time to remember the risen Christ. But I think, ALL too often, I focus way too much on the joyful aspect of the holy day, instead of all of the events leading up to it. I go into the season, lacking a true reverence and respect for the price He paid for me...and His "aloneness" was just a small part of that price.

ALL forsook Him. Let that word sink deep into your heart and soul. I hope it stirs in us a remembrance of the unimaginable price He paid for our souls. So that in turn, we will not be part of the ALL of our generation. We will not flee when ALL others do. We will not choose to run, when we are persecuted for our faith, whether that be emotionally or physically. We will choose to stay with our Savior and fight for His name, regardless of the outcome of our loyalty.

Jesus, I love You. I thank You for ALL You endured for ME on the cross, so that I could not only be worthy of Your name, but proclaim IT worthy to those around me. Help me, Lord, to stand for You, when others flee. Give me strength to fight in Jesus' name for Your name. Thank You for the crucifixion, for without it, ALL would be lost. I praise You, Jesus. Praise You.

No comments:

Post a Comment