Wednesday, March 7, 2012

It's Time to Take a Stand

"The only way for evil to prevail is for good men(women) to do nothing."

Now, I'm not normally one to get on a band wagon about something, but I figure this is as good a time as any to do so. I recently received an e-mail from HSLDA - Homeschool Legal Defense Association - which concerns me, greatly. It seems that ABC is airing a new show in the fall called, "Good Christian Bi---es." I hope you see immediately, the glaring oxymoron in this title. It's based on a book that depicts a divorcee coming back home to Texas after her failed marriage. Evidently, her friends - the Christians - make her life even more miserable when she returns, because of jealously towards her.

Now, I have to say, I have not read the book or watched the show, YET. I have, however, read a few reviews. Despite that, the title alone should sound some sort of alarm in every Christian's heart. It's an attack on Jesus, period.

ABC-TV has decided that it can take direct aim at Christians with what amounts to hate speech. This is the premise of its new program GCB (which stands for Good Christian B*****es). We need to fight back.

This program ridicules Christians, Christianity, the Bible, and Christian symbols in ways that would be unthinkable if aimed at any other religious group. For example, in the official Facebook page for GCB it said that “cleavage will help keep your cross straight.” Can you imagine the reaction in the Muslim community if that kind of message (complete with a highly suggestive photo) would have been made aiming at a symbol of the Islamic faith?
HSLDA

See what I mean?

My husband has recently been preaching about Nehemiah and the rebuilding of the walls of Jerusalem. When Jerusalem was destroyed, the wall around the city was torn down. That was a devastating blow, for the city wall symbolized protection. Without it, any marauding group could simply walk in and steal everything the people had. Jerusalem needed that wall. They needed the protection a wall could give.

And wouldn't you know it, when they finally started rebuilding, the groups around Jerusalem got upset and tried everything they could to keep the walls torn down. For you see, they had everything to lose and nothing to gain, if the Israelites became a safe, protected nation once again.

They shouted at the Israelites. They tried to deceive them into letting them "help" with the rebuilding. They tried sending discouraging messages throughout the camps. They even threatened the lives of those working on the wall. They pulled out every stop and tried every trick to end the work.

Finally, Nehemiah had had enough. He stood and addressed the people working on the walls: And I looked, and arose and said to the nobles, to the leaders, and to the rest of the people, 'Do not be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, great and awesome, and fight for your brethren, your sons, your daughters, your wives and your homes.' And it happened, when our enemies heard that is was known to us, and that God had brought their plot to nothing, that all of us returned to the wall, everyone to his work."

I don't know about you, but I have "brethren." I have sons. I have a daughter. I don't have a wife, but I have a husband. And I have a home. Far too long, I have watched things happen and said in my heart with disgust, "That's a shame." However, now that the attack on my Jesus and my belief is so blatant, I can no longer sit and be silent. It's time to fight.

Now, I'm definitely not suggesting violence against ABC, but I am suggesting action. They say the pen is mightier than the sword. And with that in mind, I am wielding my sword, now. I encourage you, Believer. Go to the ABC website abc.go.com/site/contact-us, and fight for your family...for your "brethren," for your sons and daughters, wives (husbands) and homes in a Christ-like fashion. If we respond with anger and aggression, not only will we NOT please Jesus, but we will just solidify the material in the show. Please tell them of your concern, but do so in spirit of gentleness and conviction.

I don't know about you, but I'm done sitting...it's time to fight.

Jesus, we need Your help here. This type of thing makes us angry and fearful of the future. Help us to be neither, but also help us not to sit back and let this just happen. Teach us to fight for You, Lord Jesus, in a Christ-like manner so that the world will know that You are real and that You are, in fact, the Savior of it. We love You, Jesus. Help us to prove it in a manner worthy of Your great name. Amen

As an added note, here are the sponsors for the show:
• Verizon
• Comcast xFinity
• Rooms to Go
• SC Johnson
• Conagra Foods for Chef Boyardee
• PepsiCo

No comments:

Post a Comment