Tuesday, June 5, 2012

God's On the Move

Yesterday while tending my garden, I spotted something in the middle of one of my rows that surprised me.  It was a pea plant.  Actually, there were three of them, all scattered in different places.  I didn’t plant them there.  I planted them on the top of the row, not the middle.  I thought back and figured out what happened.  A storm front came through a couple of days after I planted them.  I remember being afraid that all the seeds would be washed away, but fortunately, I only lost a few...and then, evidently, found them! 

I had to do something.  I couldn’t just leave those little pea plants there in the middle of the row to be trampled on or tilled deep into the earth.  So, I dug my hoe deep beside each one and carefully transplanted them on top of the row where they belonged.  As I dug the last little plant, it seemed to scream at me: “But I’m happy here!  I don’t want to go!” 

Of course, it really didn’t scream at me, but it just looked so happy...so comfortable...so healthy, living there in the middle of the row.  Hmmm....
 
I have to admit, many times when God wants to move me - whether it be a physical move (staying in a hotel and another home for the past 3 ½ months) or an emotional move (choosing to be joyful, when I really don’t feel like it), I don’t often respond well.  I look at Him and whine, “But I’m comfortable here.  I like it here.  Please don’t move me.  I don’t want to go!”  And yet, what I say and what I need are two totally different things.  Because you see, God sees what’s GOING to happen to me if I don’t move.  He knows that the figurative feet of children and adults are headed my way, as I sit comfortably in the middle of the row.  He also knows the tiller is coming, and that would be the ruin of my existence.   He knows these things, and I don’t.  He sees them and I don’t.  He understands the perils of my remaining where I am, and I don’t. 

So, what’s my alternative?   

Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.  See, I am doing a new thing!  Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?  I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland.   Is. 43:18-19. 

I know that God was speaking to the Israelites in this passage, but I think we can apply it to us, as well.  God wants to do something “new” with us, too.  He wants to make “ways” for us in our deserts and “streams” for us in our wastelands....even when we don’t want Him, too.  He wants to take us to new places in our walks with Him...places we’ve never been before...amazing places full of life and abundance.

So, if God is moving you today...physically or emotionally...let Him do it.  Instead of whining at Him and telling Him how much you don’t want to be moved, praise Him.  Praise Him that He is in control and knows what’s headed down your path.  Praise Him for His gentle hand and His loving touch.  Praise Him that your “new place” will cause growth and produce fruit for you and for others around you.  Choose to praise Him, my friend, in the “new things” and then watch as He opens up the “ways” in your deserts and gushes forth the “streams” in your wastelands.   

Lord, we love you.  Help us, Lord, to trust Your moving hand.  Help us to fully comprehend the way You move us and realize that if we stay where we are, we will be of no use to anyone, including You.  Strengthen our hands as we continue to work and our feet as we continue to walk in Your ways.  We praise You, Father, for being sooooo very good.   I praise You, Lord.  Praise You.

No comments:

Post a Comment