Tuesday, January 22, 2013

God's Design for Failure

So how's that New Year's Resolution coming?  

By now, you are either shaking your head in the affirmative, proudly thinking to yourself, "Pretty good so far,"  OR you've stopped reading this altogether, because I've reminded you of something dreadfully gone wrong!  

I do hate to admit it, but I'm afraid if I was in your position right now, I'd probably skip this column and move on to something else, not wishing to be reminded of my failure.  I don't like to fail, so I avoid "it" and any conversation about "it" as much as I possibly can.  

But let me assure you, this column is not about failure.  It's not about an accusing finger pointed in your direction.  It's about something totally different...something incredibly encouraging to my soul...and I'm sure to yours, as well. 

Now, I don't want you to rush through this next paragraph.  You speed-readers - SLOW DOWN.  Yes, I'm talking to you!  Take your time reading, no matter how hard it is to keep your eyes from flying over the ink.  For the rest of you (including myself!) who tell yourselves you are speed-readers, don't allow your desire to finish quickly to take away from the passage...even if you've read it a hundred times before.  Let the Words really sink in.  "Feast" on what it says and allow God to speak openly with you (and me) about your (our) failures. Ready...here we go:
The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in lovingkindness.  He will not always strive with us, nor will He keep His anger forever (By the way, these Words were written before the birth of Christ.  God strives with us no longer for His anger was poured out on the crucified Christ).  He has not dealt with us according to our sins, nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.  For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is His lovingkindness toward those who fear Him. As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us.  Just as a father has compassion on his children, So the Lord has compassion on those who fear Him.  For He Himself knows our frame;  He is mindful that we are but dust (Ps. 103:8-14).   

Whew! How's that for encouragement?  

When I read this a few days ago, I immediately thought to myself, "I really needed to hear that today.  Thanks for reminding me, Lord."  

Praise God, He doesn't deal with me according to my failures...that He doesn't give me what I deserve...that He flings my sin away, as far as the east is from the west (that's a pretty "fer" piece!)...that He has compassion on me, when I'm trapped in my downward-spiral of thinking...that He is mindful that I am but dust.  God is, indeed, incredibly good to us - even in our failures.  

However, His goodness doesn't give us an excuse to fail.  Just because He doesn't respond to us in accordance with our sin, doesn't mean that we can choose to fail Him over and over again, taking advantage of His forgiveness.  His mercy and grace doesn't give us liberty to sin.  What shall we say then?  Are we to continue in sin so that grace my increase?  May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it? Rom. 6:1-2.  

Instead, our response to His goodness in the midst of our failures should send us racing back to Him.  Our shortcomings - and our admittance of them - should never drive us away from God in shame, but drive us TO Him in gratefulness and humbleness for His mercy and grace.  His conviction was/is never meant to harm, but instead to woo us homeward, so that we can walk faithfully and fully in His love.
 
Jesus, I SOOOO needed that today.  I needed to hear that You love me, in-spite of my failures and who I think I am.  I needed to hear that You took the burden of my sin and flung it away from me...and You.  I needed to hear that You are a compassionate Father, not giving me what I deserve, but fulfilling Your law of love in my life.  Thanks God...for the reminder.  I praise You for it.  Praise You, Father.  Praise You.






No comments:

Post a Comment