Tuesday, January 8, 2013

God is Our Refuge

My kids LOVE to play HAGS - affectionately known by our neighbor Sam - as Hide-and-Go-Seek.  It was no wonder then, that when Seth - the youngest of the bunch - was old enough to run, he wanted to join the older kids in their adventure...and I got the privilege one day of being his hiding partner.

"Seffie" and I went and stood behind a big bush and waited.  I don't remember who was actually "It" at the time, but whoever it was knew where we were, and I guess decided there were more challenging opponents just around the front of the house.  You see, "the bush" was Seth's hiding place.  He hid there EVERY time and everyone knew it.  He was convinced it was a great place to be, because he never got "caught."

As I stood there, treasuring the moment, Seth kept peering around the edge of the bush, wide-eyed and ready to run.  He finally looked back and me and said, "I'll check and see if the 'ghost' is clear."  Needless to say, I broke into laughter...on the inside, of course.  After all, this was HAGS.  You had to be a serious and silent hider, if you wanted to be safe!

Fast forward two years...
I'm sitting at my dining room table, Bible-opened, searching the Scriptures for life, and I see, "My soul, wait silently for God alone, For my expectation (or my hope) is from Him.  He only is my rock and my salvation.  He is my defense;  I shall not be moved.  In God is my salvation and my glory;  The rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.  Trust in Him at all times, you people;  Pour out your heart before Him;  God is a refuge for us" (Ps. 62:5-8).

So, now I guess you can see what's got me thinking about HAGS.

How silly would it have been for Seth and me to stand out in the open while playing this game.  That would defeat the whole purpose.  The "ghost" would never be clear!

After all the point of the game is not necessarily, NOT to get caught.  The point of the game is to be the best "hider."

Oh, how I want to be that way in my spiritual life.  Yet, most of the time when I feel in "danger" - whether it's because of my own sin or because of someone else's - I stand out in the open and ring my hands...worrying about the outcome.  I just stand there, trusting in something or someone to save me -  all the while, leaving myself completely vulnerable to the enemy, when a great hiding place is just around the edge of the house. 

Scripture says that God is my "refuge."  That word means that God is my "shelter against harm."  He is my "hiding place."


The next few verses in Ps. 62 says, "Surely men of low degree are a vapor, Men of high degree are a lie;  If they are weighed on the scales, they are altogether lighter than vapor.  Do not trust in oppression, nor vainly hope in roberry;  If riches increase, do not set your heart on them" (9-11).

In the earlier verses, God told us that He, alone, is our refuge - and now, He tells us why.  Men are just a vapor.  Even your best friend in the world - though he/she is God-given and amazing - doesn't need to be the first one you run to when you're desperate.

God is your Refuge.   

He also says not to trust in oppression or robbery.  Sin NEVER makes things better.  Don't think by sinning, you have a place to hide.  Doing the wrong things only leave you in the wide open, ready to be attacked.  Actually, when you're sinning, it's more like you're hunting the enemy down, screaming, "Hey...here I am!"

God is your Refuge.   

Money - even though it is a gift from God - is not to be trusted.  If your riches increase, Scripture says, you need to realize that wealth cannot protect you from everything.  If you trust in it, money will give you a false sense of security that you are hidden well, when you're really just standing behind something no bigger than a twig and no taller than your shoestring!

God, ALONE, is our refuge.  He, ALONE, is our hiding place.  He, ALONE, is our safe-house, and only He has the key.  God...and God, alone. 

Teach me, Lord, to allow You to be my Hiding Place and may I learn it well.  It seems I always run to everything else but You, first.  I don't want to do that anymore.  I want my life to be a pattern of hiding in You...coming to You, first...believing You to be my only source of hope.  Thank You, Lord, that because I have asked, You will answer.  You will teach me, for You want me to learn...and to trust in You.  You are amazing, Father.  Thank You, Jesus.  Thank You.  


  


No comments:

Post a Comment