Monday, February 18, 2013

THAT THING

Chocolate...who would have ever thought something sooo downright delectable could be almost devilish at times.   I'm not referring to Devil's Food Cake, either.  I'm referring to what chocolate does to me...scratch that.  I'm referring to what I allow chocolate to do to me!

You see sometimes, when I'm really frustrated and upset, chocolate becomes my comfort. 

Now, in defense of my little, dark friend, I have read reports that say chocolate is good for you and that we should all have a little bit every day, but I'm not talking about just a "little chocolate."  I'm talking about chocolate consumption on a much grander scale. 

I never intend to overindulge.  It just happens.  Some situation, some struggle, some stress comes into my life, and without thinking, I head to my favorite stash of chocolate chips in the cupboard.  Of course, you can't just eat chocolate chips by themselves.  That wouldn't be healthy!  So, I add in a spoonful of peanut butter to the mix for added protein!  But before you know it, I've had at least four spoonfuls of peanut butter, combined with several handfuls of chocolate chips, and my well laid out plans for chocolate chip muffins for breakfast the next morning, fly out the window.

I'm not saying that chocolate chips and peanut butter should be banned from the grocery shelves.  They, in and of themselves, are not wrong.  However, in my case, they are quite a temptation. 

I realize you didn't start reading this article, just so you could read my "chocolate confession."  There is a point here.

You see, when I find myself in the kitchen frantically searching for a spoon to dip into the peanut butter and spilling chocolate morsels all over the floor in my haste, I am looking for THAT THING.  I am looking for THAT THING to take away the anxiety.  I am looking for THAT THING to make me feel better.  In essence I am looking for comfort.  However, most of the time what I find instead, is a bad taste in my mouth, a regret in my mind, and a few extra bulges on  my mid-section.

James 1:14,15 tells us that each one of us is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.  Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.

Let's look at that verse another way...each one of us is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed (I NEED chocolate.  I've got to have it.  I know I've indulged in the past, but this time will be different.  I'll only have a handful of chips.).  Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; (just one more spoonful won't hurt.  Peanut butter's not bad for me anyway.  The ratio is off...I need more chocolate chips to cut the gummy taste of the peanut butter...just one more.)  and sin, when it is full-grown, (There, that's better.  Actually, I don't feel so good after all.  Have I lost my mind!  Why did I do that?  Why did I eat that many chocolate chips.  Now I don't have enough for the muffins in the morning.  I'm so stupid.  I can't believe I did that again.) brings for death (What!  Where did that come from!  I didn't weigh that much yesterday!). 

See what I mean?  Temptation is a trap and a snare.  When we give in to it, it never brings forth the comfort and joy that it promises.  Instead it only gives us death.  Sometimes that death is physical, but it's also emotional, spiritual, you name it.   The by-product of giving in to temptation is death.  Period. 

You might be thinking this chocolate fixation of mine is silly...so silly that it can't be sin - but it is.  When I overindulge in something - no matter how insignificant it might seem - I am, in a way, thinking that THAT THING will make me feel better, act better, be better...I am replacing my God with THAT THING.  THAT THING is taking His place in my life. 

God and God, alone, brings comfort from the craziness and replaces the stress with peace.  So, instead of heading for the kitchen, I should be heading for my prayer closet and bowing myself before the best fix of all time! 

Your temptation - your desire to be comforted by THAT THING - may be different than mine.  It may be abusing alcohol.  It may be allowing yourself to blow off steam on another, when you get angry.  It may as simple as speaking negatively about another person to make yourself feel better.  Whatever the case, THAT THING, when allowed to go unchecked, will bring forth death and affect others around you like you never imagined. 

Sounds hopeless, doesn't it?  Oh, but it's not! 

When you feel yourself slipping away, desiring THAT THING, instead of desiring God - pray.  Tell God that you know He is your only comfort.  That He, alone, can make this situation better.  Memorize I Corinthians 10:13 and repeat it back to yourself for strength:  No temptation has overtaken you except such as common to man; but God is faithful, Who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it. 

Did you get that!?!  Did you really read that verse?  Did you see the fact that God will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you can bear - that you are strong enough to fight THAT THING with His help?  Did you also see that the situation is NOT hopeless...that God will provide a way out, if we will but search for it? 

That's good news, isn't it...for you and your temptations - and me and my waistline!

Dear Jesus, please help me, when I am being tempted to sin, to remember that You are my comfort....that You want to help me...that my situation is not hopeless...that I have the strength to fight...that I am not overcome by my sin, but am an overcomer because of Christ.  I love You, Jesus.  Thank You for helping me love You more.  And as always, praise You.  I praise You.

No comments:

Post a Comment