Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Cowbell

I found my cowbell the other day. 

I know this probably doesn't "do" much for you, but it strikes terror into the hearts of my children.  They still remember the sound of that bell clanging in their ears, as an over-excited fan jumped up and down, screaming to the top of her lungs, cheering her child on to victory. 

Alex said he could hear me from the field.  The sad thing is, I believe him.  I throw all caution and sense of calmness to the wind, when football season comes around. 

Oh, and this year - the terror has intensified.  You see, this year BOTH boys are playing football, and our daughter is playing volleyball.  Can you believe it?!  I get excited just thinking about the feel of that bell in my hand and the anticipation of that first good ring. 

My kids have already informed me that I AM NOT to ring as loudly this year.  And the volleyball coach?  Well, let's just say she is making me a line judge for the games, because the cow bell will have to remain untouched while inside the gym.  Such sadness.  I'll be a miserable line judge...having to cap my larynx and not be partial to my child, for fear of being thrown out into the parking lot. 

"Why," you might ask.  Why would I do this to my children?  Why would I put them through the sheer misery? 

Well, I really do TRY not be embarrassing.  I TRY not to be loud and hold in my excitement at the games, but it just doesn't work.  I CAN'T HELP IT!   Those are my kids and those other kids?  They aren't mine, but they might as well be, because we're all on the same team...playing for the same purpose!   

It's funny, but that's the way God is with me, too.  I don't think about it often enough, but it really is.  Scripture calls Him my Father, and because of that, I can't help but get the picture of God up in heaven with a cow bell, cheering me on when I do something that pleases Him, and then STILL cheering me on to do better, when I fumble the ball or fail to spike it over the net. 

I'm His kid.  I'm His pride and joy.  I am an heir to the throne and a sister to Christ Jesus.  What a thought...what an occasion to find joy in and think about all day long! 

Romans 8:14-15 says, "For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are the sons (daughters) of God.  For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, 'Abba, Father.'" 


When God chose me as His child, He didn't instill in me a spirit of fear.  Instead, I got it all.  I was adopted.  I became HIS - totally, completely HIS.  He is now my Father.  My perfect Father, who stands on the sidelines of my life, ringing His heart out literally, cheering me on, pushing me to be the best I can be, encouraging me to continue, even when I feel like giving up, strengthening me through His Spirit.  He's the best Cheerleader there ever was, and when I listen, I can hear Him above the crowds.  I can hear His loving voice, celebrating my victories and encouraging me in my defeats.  He's the best Fan I have.  He has to be.  He can't help it.  I'm His kid, and He's my Dad. 

And if you are a Believer...if you have given your life to Jesus and allowed Him to be your Lord - your Father - He's your Dad, too.  He's cheering you on.  You and I are a part of the same team, and part of the same family with a joyful, excitable, kind, gentle, encouraging, fun-filled, playful Dad on the sidelines. 

Now that's a reason to celebrate. 

Where's my cowbell...I feel like having a good ring!   

Dearest Jesus, thank You for paying the price for me that I could be adopted into the family of God.  Thank You, God, for being my heavenly Father, encouraging me, cheering for me, helping me to do what You have put me on this earth to do.  Thank You for that today.  I love You, Abba.  I love You. 


No comments:

Post a Comment