Thursday, August 21, 2014

Child-Like Faith

Our family watched the movie Heaven is For Real, and afterward, I had a precious conversation with our youngest son.  He was sitting at the table coloring a picture, while I was washing dinner dishes and trying desperately to clean up the kitchen before bed-time.  Seemingly out of nowhere, my seven year old said that Jesus "told him things sometimes."  Curious, of course, I asked, "What kind of things does Jesus tell you?"  His answer surprised me: "To follow Him."

The song, "I Have Decided to Follow Jesus" came flooding into my mind...the second verse especially:  Though none go with me, still I will follow.  Though none go with me, still I will follow.  Though none go with me, still I will follow.  No turning back.  No turning back.  So I turned to Seth and said, "Well, Seth, what would happen if everyone else you knew chose NOT to follow Jesus?"  To my surprise and delight, he nonchalantly replied: "Then I guess I would just be alone," and continued his coloring, completely unaware and undisturbed by the profoundness of his statement.

That's the beauty of a child-like faith, isn't it?  Even as he spoke those last words, I felt a jump in my spirit.  Surely he doesn't understand how horrible that would be?  It would be lonely and sad and dark and dreary to be the only Believer on planet earth.  It would be a difficult life, full of persecution and angry stares, possibly even blows.

And yet, my child didn't have to understand all of that.  He just knew that he had to do what Jesus had said.  He had to follow Him, period.  No matter what.

We might simply put aside his child-like faith as ignorance, if it weren't for the fact that Jesus, Himself, said that we must not make light of a child's faith, but desire it above all else. As a matter of fact, Jesus calls child-like faith a necessity for the Christian.  Matthew 18:1-4 says, "At about the same time, the disciples came to Jesus asking, 'Who gets the highest rank in God’s kingdom?' For an answer Jesus called over a child, whom he stood in the middle of the room, and said, 'I’m telling you, once and for all, that unless you return to square one and start over like children, you’re not even going to get a look at the kingdom, let alone get in. Whoever becomes simple and elemental again, like this child, will rank high in God’s kingdom. What’s more, when you receive the childlike on my account, it’s the same as receiving me'"  (The Message - Emphasis mine). 

Simple and elemental.  I think that's my problem.  I'm not simple and elemental when it comes to my my Christian walk.  Like Peter in the storm, I look at my surroundings, instead of my Savior.  I look at the things that surround me and respond to my circumstances.  Peter would have walked on the water, all the way into the arms of Jesus, if he had simply not looked away.

Child-like faith wouldn't have looked away.  It wouldn't have even acknowledged the very-real dangers in the presence of Christ.  

Oh, but Adult-like faith would.  

The difference is that Child-like faith would see the wonder of the Savior and be entranced with His gaze.  Child-like faith would simply answer when He called, no matter the consequences.  Child-like faith wouldn't try to figure out what to say to a non-believer about Jesus.  Child-like faith would pray and trust that God would give him/her the words.  Child-like faith wouldn't worry about the safety of their family.  Child-like faith would ask for safety and then trust that God would provide.  Child-like faith wouldn't be concerned about how hard life as a Believer is.  Child-like faith would just be content to "be alone." 


Father, I ask that You help me understand...no...not understand.  Help me instead, to trust You, like a little child...without the worries and concerns.  I'm not saying those things aren't there.  I am saying You are in control of them.  So I ask for child-like faith - faith that trusts Your every move...Your every turn...in every situation.  May I learn to look at You and You, alone.  

Thank You, Jesus...for listening and loving Your child. 



No comments:

Post a Comment