Monday, April 20, 2015

Gentleness to All

"Yes, Sundays are the hardest for us.  We are incredibly busy, so we get behind in the kitchen.  Meals don't get served quickly, and people become impatient and rude.  It's sad to say, but true.  Church people are the rudest customers we have all week," the sweet waitress answered.  

Our family doesn't normally eat out on Sundays after church, but a couple of Sundays ago, I did happen to find myself a looongg way from home and in need of some food.  After visiting Blended Fellowship in Pikeville (a church dedicated to blending hearing and deaf people in worship) my friend, Valerie and I and three of our girls stopped to grab a bite to eat before we headed home. We could tell that our waitress was incredibly busy, bounding from one table to the next.  At the end of the meal when all debts were paid, she stopped to thank us for being a bright spot in her day.  We tried to make waiting on our table fun.  Evidently, we accomplished our task!  Then again, anytime you are with Valerie Creech, fun just happens!   

Before we left the table, Valerie looked at her and asked, "I have heard that Sundays are the hardest days for waiters and waitresses. That's when people are the rudest.  Is that true?"  

And the answer at the top of the page tells the rest of that story.  

Philippians 4:5 says, "Let your gentleness be evident to all.  The Lord is near."  I hate to even ask this question - but do we as Believers in Jesus, check our gentleness at the door as we walk out of the church?   

Now, I could get on my soap box and spew a few words about how people need to be kinder - especially those of the Christian faith. But then, I'd have to climb down off my soap box, bend down on my knees, throw my face in the dirt and beg for forgiveness.  For, this very week, Phil. 4:5 hit me right between the proverbial eyes.  

A mistaken communication on the part of one of my kids, caused me an hour-long car wait.  While sitting there in the dark, rehearsing my verbal discipline, the words, "let your gentleness be evident to all" echoed through the irritated corridors of my mind. 

Immediately, I was confronted with my glaring lack of gentleness.   I humbly agreed with God and thanked Him for diverting my heart and my mouth.  When the child got in the car, I asked about the day - what they had done at the party, etc....  Joy-filled conversation billowed forth.  Then, during a lull, I casually mentioned that next time it would be better if I knew the plans had changed ahead of time.  To which that child said, "Yeeaaah," as if to say, "I know I blew it."  

That night, God allowed me the opportunity to teach my child something important about life and at the same time, keep our relationship strong by simply utilizing gentleness.  

So, my challenge for you this week is to remember to "let YOUR gentleness be evident to all.  Whether the "all" is your spouse, your children, your friends, the guy in the car next to you that just pulled over in your lane and cut you off.  Yes, him too. Let you gentleness be evident to the grocery clerk and the gas station attendant - the ice cream vendor and yes, even the waiter or waitress on Sunday.  

Let your gentleness be evident...and be evident...to ALL.  

Thank You, Lord, for being gentle, even as You rebuke me. Help me to model that to others...to be led by Your Spirit as I walk in this world.  I love You, Father.  


No comments:

Post a Comment