Monday, June 22, 2015

He's Speaking...


Let's be honest, shall we? For a lot of us, reading the Bible isn't something we do a whole lot of. We think about it, but life happens. We get too busy. We don't understand what we read, so instead of searching the Scriptures further to try and figure it out, we simply shake our heads and put it down.

Which leads to a lack of respect for God's Word and its usefulness in our lives...

...UNTIL...

...the unthinkable happens. Something totally unpredictable slams us in the face and knocks the breath right out of us.

Immediately, we search Him out. The Bible that lay on the shelf during our "busy times" finds its way into our hands. Page after page is flipped. Chapter after chapter is read. Finally, the Word of God takes priority over worldly things.

But after a couple of days, it seems our situation is not improving. God seems silent and distant, and so we blame Him for not speaking.

Yet, He's been speaking the whole time.

We just haven't been listening.

Case in point: The other morning while talking with my teenager about spending time with God, our conversation shifted to his future career. Right now, he's wavering between two or three particular fields, and that's fine. He has a long time before any decisions have to be made. However, because he wants to make the right life choice, these thoughts already have a great deal of his attention.

After a couple of minutes, I brought the conversation back around to spending time in the Word. I encouraged him that he didn't have to read a whole chapter a day. Seriously focusing on even a single Bible verse, would be of immeasurable benefit for him.

To show him an example, I pulled up the website, Verse of the Day, and we read this together: "LORD, I know that people's lives are not their own; it is not for them to direct their steps" (Jer. 10:23).

I sat there for a moment, focusing on the verse, myself. And I realized that God was speaking.  I looked at my son with wide eyes and said, "Do your realize that God is speaking to you? Do you realize that He is talking to you through His Word right now?"

We had just finished discussing my son's struggle with what he wanted to do for the rest of his life, and here was God's answer for him.  It's not for Alex to plan his life.  He needs to let God plan his life for him!  God will direct his steps.  How cool is that?   How cool is it that God spoke to my child...immediately?

A moment later, a sobering thought popped into my mind. It was as if God said, "I speak all the time, Belinda. You just don't listen."

You know, He does. He really does speak ALL the time. "How?" you might ask. "How is God speaking all the time?" 


I'll tell you how. Do you remember that Bible that lay on the shelf during our busy times? That's how.  It's sad to think of how many times I have literally missed hearing from the Lord, because I was too consumed with my day to pick up His Word.  

So my encouragement for us today?  Let's go get His book off that shelf. Sit down, take a deep breath, and stop long enough to listen. 


Thank You, Father, for Your Word.  I thank You that You speak continuously through It.  I ask that You help me learn how to listen. I am here, Jesus.  Speak though Your Word.    

No comments:

Post a Comment