Friday, June 12, 2015

You Really Do Reap What You Sow

Do not be deceived, God is not mocked. Whatsoever one sows, that he will also reap, (Gal. 6:7). Those words jumped off of the index card attached to my kitchen wall and struck me like a bolt of lightning. All of the sudden, I found myself thinking, “What did I sow this week? What did I cultivate in the heart of my kids?”

Every year, I plant a garden. And sometimes, in that garden, I plant seeds and then forget what I planted. You would think by now that I would be able to remember to purchase some of those cute little plant identifiers to line my garden rows. And yet, I always seem to forget. It's not until the first few leaves appear that I can actually tell peppers from squash - tomatoes from watermelons!

There's a tremendous spiritual truth threading its way through that last paragraph. What I plant, I sow. The seeds that are sown by my hand, will become what they were intended to become, whether I remember what I planted or not.

Hence, the illustration for Galatians 6:7 is a stark reality in the lives of every Believer. We will reap what we sow. If we “sow” anger into our relationships (into the lives of our children, for example) we will reap anger. If we “sow” unkindness into the lives of those around us, we will reap unkindness. If we “sow” impatience, course jesting, “ugly talk,” we will reap those benefits, as well.

However, on the flip side, if we “sow” love into our relationships, we will reap love. If we “sow” gentleness and patience, we will reap those things – eventually! If we “sow” justice and mercy, faithfulness and humility, those blessings will cover us in abundance.

Now, that doesn't mean that you will see immediate results. Real gardening doesn't work that way. It usually takes a long time before any ripe fruit appears. I think that's why God continues this thought of “sowing things” on into verse 9 of Galatians 6: “And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season, we shall reap if we do not lose heart.”

Just because you don't see any fruit in the first few days or sometimes even years after planting, don't get discouraged. Trust that what God has said in His Word will come true. Believe that He does not lie and that your efforts through the Spirit to sow good things will cause you to reap a bountiful harvest of blessings.

For whatsoever you plant, that you shall also reap.

Dearest Jesus, help me today. I need Your strength to speak kindness, live patiently, love heartily and give freely. May I be about the business of “sowing” Life into those around me today. I love You, Jesus.  

No comments:

Post a Comment