Sunday, May 22, 2016

Shadows of Things to Come

That spider was huge! My husband and I sat in the car and watched as this gargantuan-looking creature built its web outside our garage. Normally, I would be horrified. Spiders and I are not on speaking terms...screaming terms, but definitely not speaking terms. This night, however, I wasn't concerned.

First of all, we were in the car. It wasn't like this giant creature could penetrate the windshield of our vehicle to reach its mortified occupant. Secondly, I was with my husband. Surely, he would take care of me...jumping in harm's way to protect me from that creepy, eight-legged, horrifyingly-ugly thing...surely. Lastly, I wasn't concerned, because the spider's size was a little more than exaggerated. You see, we were seeing just an enlarged shadow of a rather normal-sized creature. He was building a web directly in front of our garage light, so the shadow being cast on the garage was daunting, but nothing of which to be afraid.

Merriam Webster gives us this definition of the word “shadow”: An area of darkness created when a source of light is blocked. So really, there's nothing to be afraid of with a shadow. It might look scary and mysterious, but it's simply an area of darkness, nothing more.

With my curiosity peeked about this word, I Googled “shadows in the Bible.” I was surprised at what I found. There were 52 references – 52! One of which, I am sure, you have heard many times. It might even be that you haven't just heard it, you fear it. It's the Shadow of Death.

Sounds horrifying, doesn't it? Sounds like something big and daunting, hanging over our heads waiting for just the right moment to jump onto the windshield of our lives and break through. It's something that we can try and try to escape, but one day, it will find us all.

Yet, it's just a shadow. Did you get that? The thing we all usually fear the most as humans, is just a shadow...that is, for Believers. If you do not know Jesus, then you have every right to be fearful. For you, death is not a shadow, but a terrifying journey of torture and “lastingness.” It will be something that you will never escape. Fear and pain will be your friends and your companions...forever.

If that is your position, I pray that you will do as Romans 10:9 says: “Confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe with all your heart that God has raised Him from the dead and you will be saved.”

Now, that doesn't mean that you just utter those words and pray some prayer of simplicity for your salvation. It means that you confess that you are an enemy of God. Romans 5:10 says, For if, while we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to Him through the death of His Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!” You can't have friendship with God – reconciliation – apart from Jesus, His Son.

Next, you confess that Jesus is the ultimate Authority over your life – the One who knows what is best, and the One whose life you choose to follow and emulate. You believe, truly believe, that God resurrected Him. You believe that Christ's life and death and life again are a reality. The Bible says that if you believe that - with ALL your heart - then, death will be your friend, not your enemy. You WILL be saved. If you want to know more about this relationship with Jesus, please let us know. We'd love to walk with you through this journey.

And the Good News for those of us who DO believe? Well, as I said, death is merely a shadow. It may be big. It may be terrifying. It may be dark, but it can't hurt you. You will pass through it, only to find that it wasn't some big, scary monster. Instead, it was a beautiful path that brought you to a place of the greatest comfort and joy – a place more spectacular than you could ever imagine.

The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23


No comments:

Post a Comment