Sunday, May 15, 2016

The Wisdom I Desire

They're everywhere:  How to Lose 25 Lbs. in 30 Minutes or Less; How to Have Your Cake and Eat It Too;  How to Eat a Popsicle and Type a Newspaper Column at the Same Time.  Okay, so maybe the last title only applies to me, but you get the picture.  If you want to know how to do something - I mean, really KNOW how to do it, you can find books and articles in every medium.

But, I've got ONE particular book that is my favorite "How-to" book.  You may or may not be surprised at the answer.  On second thought, you probably won't be surprised at all.  Yes, it is the Bible...and it is IN the Bible.

The book of Proverbs is a treasure-trove of wisdom - of "how to" most everything, except maybe How to Fix Your Dishwasher in Less Time Than It Takes To Wash a Sinkful of Dishes!  It does include, however, how to respond when the book about fixing your dishwasher doesn't work for your model.  :)

I turn to the book of Proverbs often these days - almost every day, as a matter of fact.  It has 31 chapters, so it's easy to just choose the number of the date and begin reading.

I have been feeling a need to grow into this gray hair I am now sporting, so my thirst for wisdom is greater now more than ever.
Because of that, my help for your day (and my day) is to share a little "wisdom" with you from Proverbs.  These chosen passages come from Proverbs 15, because today is, you got it..the 15th.

"A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger," v.1.  How's that for a day starter?  It's a reminder to us that if we want to be more peaceful with those around us, we won't retaliate when attacked.  Instead, we will respond properly and with thoughtful control of our tongue.  That, in turn, will help to calm a heated situation, instead of agitate it.

How about v. 4?  "The tongue that brings healing is a tree of life, but a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit."  How many times has a lie crushed YOUR spirit?  It happens, doesn't it.  So, in light of how that affects us and others, it should be our choice to speak truth and life in every situation, not lies and deceit.

Again, v. 17, "better a meal of vegetables where there is love than a fattened calf with hatred."  Oh how I can relate to this one!  There were many times we ONLY had vegetables grown in the garden. Money isn't everything.  We can work ourselves to death to afford our families everything they desire, but if we lose sight of our love for one another in the process, being monetarily wealthy doesn't matter anymore.

And one more...v. 31-32:  "He who listens to a life-giving rebuke will be at home among the wise."  Yes, I want to be wise.  Yes, I want these gray hairs to mean something, but if I am not willing to accept the kind rebuke of a godly friend, then I will never live up to my hair.

I do have to add that this passage doesn't just say "rebuke."  It says a "life-giving rebuke."  There is a difference.  For instance, if a friend enlightens me to a fault in my life or some sin, and I get angry and refuse to consider his/her discernment, then I will not grow in wisdom.  However, if I listen...if I really HEAR them and understand what they are saying and respond accordingly...wisdom will crown my head in beautiful silver strands, mixed with a touch of static electricity.  

A good dose of Proverbs every day.  I highly recommend it.

God, I want to grow in wisdom.  I want to not just be smarter, but wiser in the things You teach me.  To do that Father, I have to study Your Word and spend time with You.  Call me to Yourself constantly. Don't let my feet wander from You.  I love You.  

No comments:

Post a Comment