Sunday, February 26, 2017

The Blood of the Lamb

I want chickens, but there's a problem.  I have been told by many owners of the productive fowl that when they stop laying, it's time for Sunday dinner.  

Now, some of you may think I am silly.  It's okay. I've already been told.  I just don't think I would be able to end the life of something that I have coddled and fed and petted and held and laughed at and kept warm in the winter and cool in the summer.  A chicken in my yard would be more like a precious pet, I'm afraid.  So, the idea of taking its life really doesn't "sit well" with me. 

Because of that, I can't imagine what the Old Testament Israelites must have had to go through in order to present a proper and useful sacrifice to the Lord.  Because sin was so vast and filthy in His sight (and still is, by the way), He required the most valuable - the most perfect specimen - be offered in place of the family's sin as a sacrifice.  

Often times, I'm sure the "sacrifice" was the most prized possession of the family.  It was their pet. The children raised it from a small little helpless creature, knowing that one day, that precious animal would have to spill it's life's blood for theirs.  

You see any other sacrifice wouldn't work.  The lamb had to be spotless, without defect - the best the family could bring.  

So, while reading I Peter 1:18-19 today, my mind got stuck there: "For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect." 

The Israelites were required to bring their best as an offering to the Lord, because HE would one day, BRING HIS BEST, as an offering for them.  The God of Heaven - the God of love - would one day, take the life of His own Son, because as precious as those lambs were to the people, they were never good enough.  They weren't perfect.  God knew it.  The only perfect "Lamb" was Christ.  
So, let me encourage you to "get stuck there" today.  "Get stuck" in the idea that you no longer HAVE to bring something precious and valuable to God to appease His wrath.  You no longer HAVE to take the life of something that you love in order to just be able to stand in His sight.  

For through Jesus, HE did that for you. 

Thank You, Father, for the great gift of Your Son...really.  Forgive me when I take His death and preciousness of His gift so casually.  I thank You for Your love for me, even when I do.  Cleanse this calloused, hard heart and fill it with Your precious Spirit.  Thank You, Father, for Jesus.  

No comments:

Post a Comment