Saturday, January 8, 2011

My "To Do" List

I'm a list person. Give me a pen and a sheet of paper, and adrenaline starts pumping through my veins. It thrills me to imagine all the things I can jot down and cross off, all at the same time. You've probably met people like me before...people who make lists and add things they've already done, just to feel the accomplishment of having "done" something. Yep, that's me.

But there's a method to my madness. "To Do Lists" (when I "do" them) seem to help me accomplish more things with my time, organize my thoughts better, and not forget what I'm supposed to be getting done! However, I've noticed that if I'm not careful, this "list mentality" can be detrimental, especially to my relationship with Jesus.

For instance, after the kids went to bed tonight, I started thinking about all the things that we could do as a family tomorrow...paint the house, unpack the suitcases that have been sitting in the floor since last Saturday, vacuum, etc.... Sounds like good quality, family-fun, right?!? Anyway, my thoughts progressed: "I'll start with my quiet time, fix breakfast and get to the laundry. Maybe while the kids are folding clothes I can..." All of the sudden, I realized that in my list-oriented little brain, I had LUMPED Jesus in with everything else. I wasn't thinking about building my relationship with Him. I was thinking about getting my time with Him, DONE. Ouch.

Now, in no way am I suggesting that I don't need to "schedule" time for Jesus in my life. Scripture tells us specifically to set aside time to spend with Him. However, when that "time" becomes simply another "to do" item to check off, I need to re-evaluate...and repent!

My quiet time with Jesus should never be about "getting something done." My quiet time with Him should be about building a relationship...sharing life with One I love...having Him order my day, so that all that needs to be done, will get done!

Thank You, Father, that I'm not merely on Your "to do" list...that I'm precious to You...that You cherish our relationship. Thank You that You passionately desire to spend time with me...to build a deeper and more intimate relationship with me. I'm amazed by You...amazed.

Zephaniah 3:17 - The Lord your God in your midst, the Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with his love, He will rejoice over you with singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment