Monday, February 14, 2011

Life Lessons from Little Ones

This happened several years ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday.

The weather was awful. It was storming outside - so much so, that I would not have been surprised to see Dorothy and Toto floating by my kitchen window, accompanied by a lion, a scarecrow and a shiny tin-man.

We were supposed to be going to a friend's house that day, but because of the weather, I decided to postpone our trip. I was disappointed, but not half as much as my daughter. She had been waiting for DAYS to go to Raleigh to see her friend, and the thought of not going was not an option. So, KK went right to the Source and simply asked God to make the rain stop.

Not wanting her to be upset when the rain didn't magically cease, I started a "spiritually-mature" conversation with her about how God may choose NOT to answer her prayer in the way she desired. Can I just tell you how embarrassed and ashamed I felt a few moments later, when the rain stopped and the sun burst forth from behind the clouds as if to scream, "I'm Back!" KK ran in the room and said, "Mommy, I prayed that God would make the rain stop, and He did. Now we can go to Andrew's!"

The sad thing is...I didn't expect it to happen. I didn't expect God to stop the rain. But KK did. She fully expected the storms to stop, just because she asked...even when all she could see was wind and rain.

The Bible says in Hebrews 11:6 that without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a Rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

Somewhere along the line as an adult, I forgot that. Oh, I believe Him. I believe that God is. It's the part about Him being a Rewarder of those who diligently seek Him that I seem to have trouble remembering.

Young children don't have that problem. They trust God will be a Rewarder. They don't need to see the answer in front of them, before they believe something to be true. They have a keen sense in knowing that God delights in honoring their requests, no matter how simple or insignificant they seem to us, as adults. Oh, to be more like them in our faith.

Today, Father, we seek You and believe that You desire to be our Rewarder. Thank You for the lessons You teach us through Your precious ones. Help us to pay closer attention to their simplicity of faith. May we please You with our faith today, as we diligently seek You and as we wait anxiously to see You answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment