Friday, February 18, 2011

What's Love Got to do with Ice Skates and a Faux-Hawk?

Yes, it's the "Love Month," but that didn't do it. Valentine's Day didn't do it. My husband's birthday didn't do it. Nope. My deep thoughts on love this month stemmed from - if you can believe it - some snide remarks a child made about my son at the ice skating rink. This older, obviously more experienced skater, was wearing hockey skates. He took one look at my child wearing ice skates and smarted off, "Hey, you've got the wrong skates." Obviously, Alex's skates weren't "manly" enough for him.

Then, as if to add insult to injury, he made a comment that my son's new hairstyle made him look like a bird - in front of his friends. Alex had been thrilled about his "faux-hawk" earlier that morning, but came off the ice covering his head with his hood and trying everything he could to flatten out his "crown."

I'll bet you're wondering how in the world that made me think about love. Well, in all honesty, the child's statements didn't make me think too much about love at all. What I really thought about was how to get out on the ice and tell that boy a few things about his skates and his hair, which was by the way, too short for a faux-hawk!

I digress.

Instead, my deep, intense ponderings began during a family devotion, the day after this happened. We were discussing God's love for us and how we could truly love others in that way. Still thinking about the day before, Steve asked, "Well, Alex, how could you have shown him love?" There was silence. Being the Momma Bear that I am, I suppressed the feelings of anger rising within me and sat quietly waiting to hear what my little one said - all the while thinking, "Well, it probably would be best just to tell this young man that my son liked his hair the way it was and walk away." Yes, that would have been fine, but that wasn't the right answer.

A few seconds later, my husband said something that still rings in my ears and resonates with my heart on every level. He said, "What you could have done is say,'Well, I like my hair this way. By the way, you're hair is pretty cool, too.'"

I got hit right between the eyes with that one. You see, too many times I think that I am loving someone...that I am exhibiting Christ-like behavior, just because I DON'T respond when they "push my buttons." And I am...in a way. But if we're really talking about loving others the way Christ loved us, I think we have to take it further than just "not responding." Christ DEMONSTRATED His love for us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:8). God put His love for us into action. He made a decision of His will to "act out" His love...regardless of the present circumstances or the eventual outcome.

You know, I can't predict what will happen the next time Alex meets this young man. I can, however, predict what will happen when I do. I will love him. I will choose to encourage him, despite his potential to discourage my son, yet again. I will choose to fight how I feel, and bless, instead of curse. I will choose to pray for him and do good unto him, regardless. I will choose to love him, as Jesus has loved me.

Thank You, Jesus. Thank You that you love me fully and unconditionally. Teach me to love the way You do...regardless of the situation. Teach me to be intentional about my responses to those around me. Glorify Yourself through Your love of others, through my life. Praise You, Father...Praise You.

No comments:

Post a Comment