Monday, November 24, 2014

Fixing our Eyes on Jesus

Every morning before breakfast, Steve and I take our morning walk, accompanied by a rather large dog and two small ones.   I usually handle Lilly, the lab mix, while Steve walks Sugar and Peanut - the rambunctious, energy-filled, affection-loving Chow/Shepherd puppies.  

Almost every day, we play a game with "Sugars" that starts my day off with a happy heart and a smile on my face.  It consists of Steve, alone, leashing the puppies and taking them several yards away from the house.  Then, and only then, do I step foot out the back door.  As soon as Sugar sees me, Steve drops the leash, and the onslaught begins.  

It's as if all else disappears from her sight.   She focuses her attention directly and plows through the grass - over hill and dale - to get to me.  Her tail is wagging.  Her fur is waving. And her tongue is dangling so far behind her face that it hits her ears!  The drive and passion and sheer delight she exhibits while running to me, thrills me beyond words.  She collides into my legs, and I reward her with hugs and rubs, exhibiting to her my own delight with her presence and pursuit.  

I wish you could see it - experience it.  There's nothing quite as tender as being the object of a little puppies' love and affection with no barriers, no boundaries.  Nothing else matters for Sugar at that moment, except getting to the one she loves.  

Oh, how I wish my life exhibited that same devotion to my Jesus.  How cool it would be, to be so thoroughly focused and fixed on getting to the One who loves me that distractions were just things that flew by my face as I raced forward.  That I would run the race He has set before me, fixing my eyes on the Author and Finisher of my faith (Heb. 12:3).  Not running out of duty or prodding, but running out of sheer desire to be in His presence - to be with the One who loves me and the One I love. 

That would be cool, wouldn't it?  

So, what's stopping me?  What's stopping us?  

I say we do it.  I say we not allow circumstances to distract us from Jesus.  Let's choose each moment of the day to focus our attention on the One we love and Who loves us.  Let's not fix our eyes on anything else - not family, not failures, not bank accounts, not struggles, not holidays, nothing.  Let's focus or "fix" our eyes on Jesus  and run to Him as hard and as fast as we possibly can, throwing off all inhibitions and letting our tongues whack us in the ears if need be!!!  

Jesus, You are so good, and I am blessed to call You my Savior.  I am honored and amazed that You love me - that You want to be with me.  I praise Your name.  I praise You.  

By the way, just as I finished the last words of this column, my ears picked up the sound of a Christian band, singing their hit over the radio at my doctor's office.  These are the words that I heard:  "Fix my eyes (my eyes) on You (on You)...on You."  Hmmmmm.....

No comments:

Post a Comment