Monday, November 3, 2014

Trading Death for Life

"Do you need a lawyer?" 

I have never been asked that question in my life, but last week, I was asked not once, but TWICE.  No, I was not in trouble with the Law.  No, I didn't take something that didn't belong to me...unless you count that piece of my children's Halloween candy.  No, there were no warrants out for my arrest.  Instead, I was merely sitting in a courtroom, minding my own business, in support of a family friend.  Of course, my husband and I were there for about 9 hours, so I am sure it looked like we were waiting for someone to come to our rescue, but we weren't.   

Yet, being in the courtroom DID make me think.  It made me think of the times I had broken the law in the past - the times that I had sped down those MS dirt roads with the wind blowing in my hair and the dust flying in my face.  I was guilty of breaking the law.  I just didn't get caught.  Oh, I SHOULD have been prosecuted by the law.  I SHOULD have had to pay the fine.  I SHOULD have gone to Safe Driving School.  Again, I just didn't get caught!  However, not being caught, didn't make me any less guilty. 

That's like our spiritual life.  Not "getting caught" in our sin doesn't make us any less guilty.  Romans 3:23 says, "All have sinned or fallen short of the glory of God."  We have all messed up.  We've all broken God's Law at one time or another and ended up standing before a Holy and Righteous Judge. 

And what does that infringement of God's Law cost us?  Scripture says that it costs us our lives:  "For the wages of sin is death..."

Yuck!  You mean to tell me that just because I lied to my mom about eating that piece of peppermint in the third grade,  I am guilty and sentenced to death (life apart from God)?  Yep.  You mean to tell me that just because I ate waaaay too much food during Thanksgiving break that I am guilty and sentenced to death?  Yep.  You mean to tell me that just because I tried to make someone feel better by telling them that I liked their shirt, when it really was hideous that I am guilty of breaking God's Law and am sentenced to death?  Yep.  Whether you got caught or not, doesn't make you (or me) any less guilty. 

BUT...the remaining part of Romans 6:23 says, "but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ."   

Think of it this way.  You are standing before a judge on this earth, fully-knowing your guilt.  Your hands are free, but your feet are cuffed.  You know that there is nothing you can do.  Your lawyer is absent.  Your friends aren't allowed to speak on your behalf.  The defense rests.  All seems lost.  

The judge returns to the bench and speaks the verdict - Death by electrocution.  Your mind reels.  You didn't mean for it to ever get this far.  After all, you really didn't do anything to deserve the death penalty.  You just broke the law...a little...one time.  And now your life is over.  You will die alone, wishing you had never crossed paths with that judge.  You beg for the mercy, but to no avail.  You plead for your case to be reviewed, but your time has come.  Death is inevitable. 

All of the sudden, from the back of the room, a Man steps forward.   He looks intently at you, asking you to trust Him.  Realizing He is your last chance, you beg Him...you plead with Him to do anything He can do to relieve you of this penalty...this judgment. 


He smiles, approaches the bench, takes the guilty verdict and crosses out your name.  Before you can say a word and question how He can do this, He writes His name above yours...canceling out your signature.  The bailiff approaches and removes the cuffs from your feet and places them on the feet of the Man who took your place.  Then he leads the new Prisoner away...towards the chair that will take His life - His life, instead of yours. 

That's nuts...but it's TRUTH.  Jesus Christ is our propitiation - our satisfaction before God.  He substitutes His life for ours, if we but ask.  No payment on our part is involved.  Instead, a simple exchange of confessing words will do...along with a remorseful heart.  Then and only then, is your guilty verdict appeased...is your punishment atoned for.  Only then is court adjourned and your freedom secured.


So, I challenge you will all my heart.  If you do not know this Substitute - this Jesus, then don't stop reading here.  Instead, find a Bible and start reading in the Gospel of John.  Read of Jesus' life and His great love for you - His death and His resurrection - all for your behalf.  Then, ask Him to be Your substitution.  Allow Him to trade your death for life.  He loves you that much, my friend.  He loves you that much.   

Jesus, You know that there are those who may read this today, who need to know You.  I pray for them.  I pray You will reveal Yourself to them, so that they too, may know You as Advocate and Friend.  Thank You for hearing my prayers for them.  Thank You. 

No comments:

Post a Comment