Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Expect it!

In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation. Ps. 5:3.

This verse consumes me these days. I think I've got the first part of it right - the part about sitting before the Lord in the morning and beseeching Him with requests. However, it's the last three words that get me. Three little words...you would think I could easily overlook them and move forward with my day. However, every time I read this verse, those words resonate in my mind like a gong continuing to vibrate after being struck. It must be because the whole power of the verse hinges on the last three words - wait in expectation.

How often I sit and ask God for things, only to then move about my day as if I never asked to begin with. I beg Him to make my kids love each other, but expect them to fight. I beg Him to cause them to love Him, but expect them to struggle to make godly decisions.

I wonder what would happen if I expected more of God. I wonder if when I laid my requests before God, and then went throughout the rest of the day expecting to see the answers fulfilled...I wonder if I would see a difference in the power of my prayer life. I bet I would. I'll bet my life would be filled with moment after moment of answered prayer - so much so that me and everyone around me would wonder what in the world was going on! Wouldn't that be great!

There's just one question to ask then...what's keeping me from doing it...from expecting God to "show up" throughout the day? NOTHING...ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Father, here I am...ordering my prayer to You as the Psalmist did. Help me to choose to EXPECT You to show up. Help me to remember that You desire to give good gifts to Your children and are thrilled when they acknowledge You can! Praise You, Lord, for being good...always good to Your kids. I expect You to "show up" today...I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment