Tuesday, September 21, 2010

OK, I'm finally ready to admit it. I need bifocals! My eye doctor knows this already, but I guess my denial is stronger than his opinion. This sight-related revelation came suddenly and without warning a couple of weeks ago. Several churches had gotten together at the Assembly of God Church in Smithfield to practice for the Smithfield Rescue Mission Benefit. In my struggle to read what I thought was just tiny shape notes and miniature music, I mentioned my need for bifocals to the group and laughed off the fact that everything on the page was running together as one big blur. At that point, a beautiful lady in front of me turned, took off her reading glasses and handed them to me. To my surprise, after I put on the glasses, I could see words and music and periods and commas. No longer did the black print look like a jumbled mess, but I could make out each letter. I could see all of it clearly, unlike before. It was at that moment I realized, I really do need bifocals.

Now, that was a couple of weeks ago, and I haven't gotten them yet. I probably won't for awhile. I'll just be content to continue to struggle, even though I know how much better my sight would be with them. I wouldn't have to squint at this screen to read my e-mails every day. I wouldn't even have to increase the size of the print! Imagine that - to be able to see clearly! Hmmm...

Scripture tells us of seeing clearly. I Corinthians says that in the present time, we see as in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know fully just as I also am known. That's of great comfort to me. You see, there are lots of things in this life I don't understand - that I don't see clearly. There's cancer. There's pain. There's hunger. There's disaster. I know these things exist, but I don't always understand WHY they exist and affect people I love. That's because right now, I'm looking in a mirror that's been streaked and distorted with life. And in this life, I'll never see clearly. God, on the other hand, sees everything with perfect clarity. He sees how it all works together for good. He sees the coordinating pieces of the plan I think are out of place. He sees the end result of the streaks and distortions, all without bifocals.

There's an old Gospel hymn that begins: Trials dark on every hand and we cannot understand all the ways that God would lead us to that blessed Promised Land, but He'll guide us with His eye and we'll follow till we die. And we'll understand it better by and by. By and by when the morning comes. When the saints of God are gathered home. We will tell the story how we've overcome. We will understand it better by and by.

Do we understand it all? No. Do we see God's whole plan clearly without distortion? No. BUT the comfort and the hope for this life is that one day we will. One day we will understand. One day we will see clearly. I'm ready for that day, aren't you?

Dear Jesus, purify our hearts and our patience as we wait for the day You reveal the whys and hows of life to us. Thank You we have hope in that even though we can't see it all, You can. For You, it's all in focus. Thank You, Jesus.

1 comment: